Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

benjyedwards wrote:How likely would a judge/the court order me to do so, in your opinion?
By the time she files, and by the time you go thru numerous procedural delays, summer will be long gone before a family court judge makes a ruling.

benjyedwards wrote:Ex recently pursued thin legal matter and was awarded tens of thousands of dollars in child support arrearages due to paperwork not being filed correctly 5 years ago.
I see you've financed her next court battle. LOL

First she gets $10K's worth of arrearage out of you. Now she wants a passport. Do you see where this going?? She's all take, take, take and no give. BTW, you and I both know D14 won't see a dime of that arrearage.

Think bargaining chips, Bro. If you agree to the passport, what will you get in return?? Will you get your arrearage back??

benjyedwards wrote:.....she calls every day to ask when I'm going to do so.
Sounds like she's talked you into it already. I'll bet you already have the paperwork.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7641
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:31 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 am

By the time she files, and by the time you go thru numerous procedural delays, summer will be long gone before a family court judge makes a ruling.


I know you like to be hyperbolic, but I've personally seen emergency hearings on this very matter, and you're wrong.

Spite is never a good reason to make a decision.

Negotiate. Travel insurance is a good idea.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
User avatar
Chaos
2.5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:43 am

Tom,

She actually handed me the one-page document I needed to sign at the arrearages hearing. It's been sitting in my office, unsigned, since then. I have not acted upon it nor responded to it. It is not a priority for me to do so, but she asks me to sign it daily.

In terms of spite, sure, but why not. The arrearages issue was very thin and uncalled for and cost me tens of thousands, significant business loss, plus other grief but that's a topic for another board. I'm not looking to discuss that issue here.

In rethinking my answer to adf above, I don't think my daughter needs to go on this trip. I won't mention the country but there are plenty of stories of kidnapping and I don't trust that my ex will know how to handle it if it happens, in the worst case.

Net-net, the question is "will a judge/court force me to sign the paperwork to issue my daughter a passport in the circumstances listed above." It's purely for a vacation, not to see my ex-wife's family where they live full time.

Thanks gentlemen.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby afc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 am

So is the "safety concern" what you are planning to tell your kid when she asks? Because it does sound better than "mom screwed me over on cash so im screwing you over on the trip".

Practice it so it sounds believable. And make sure you have other reasons for other things you want to withhold from your kid because of how mom acted. There will be a myriad of ways to spite her in the next few years.
afc
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7560
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:57 am

Easy.

"South America? No constitutional protections? Sorry. Nope. Not going to happen on my watch."

On the other hand, travel is education and provides priceless information and perspective.
User avatar
Fatheroffour
Moderator
 
Posts: 36577
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:37 am
Location: Top of the world

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby ForumVenter 1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 am

I think the only argument you would have is a sheer concern for international travel during this high conflict immigration deal. You'd have to lay it on pretty thick and actually believe it to be a concern. Spite won't get you far.

But I'm thinking more along the lines of the child here...

Does your daughter want to go? If so, I don't know that a 14yr old girl would forgive you very easily for keeping her from that experience. Sign the papers with consent that Mother purchases travel insurance. And if this trip is on your time, make sure you get your own 2 weeks with D beforehand.
OH - Residential parent of D after a long distance move by Ex. If your child(ren) aren't a priority, you will have no chance at gaining custody.
ForumVenter 1
500+ Posts
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby benjyedwards » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:13 am

ForumVenter wrote:
Does your daughter want to go? If so, I don't know that a 14yr old girl would forgive you very easily for keeping her from that experience. Sign the papers with consent that Mother purchases travel insurance. And if this trip is on your time, make sure you get your own 2 weeks with D beforehand.


I'm sure she wants to go, but she won't die if she doesn't go. Not sure how many kids have been out of the country, ever, let alone before they are 18. We've been flexible on summer vacations, extra week here or there. I'm not that interested in counting days. It seems that I'm probably in the minority of dads who have gotten to spend plenty of time with their children post-divorce without issue.

Let's put spite aside for a minute. How about offering to sign the document and approve the trip for a fee? Say $3,000.

Does that type of arrangement ever come up on these boards? Thoughts? Again, putting spite aside.
benjyedwards
10+ Posts
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby afc » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 am

Sounds like youre trying to recoup the money you lost on that motion she won by holding the refusal of the trip over your kid's head.

You can't get away from it's just spite no matter how you spin it now. Just be careful with that because well, odds are if the kid finds out she will have some hate because you are punishing her for what her mom did. So deny deny deny.
afc
5K+ Posts
 
Posts: 7560
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am

I think it matters what Country you are talking about - there is a difference between Brazil and Peru.

What about my idea of the travel and rescue insurance? That addresses the "kidnapping" aspect of your argument, any health issues that might arise, and repatriation if the need occurs.

https://www.globalrescue.com
Last edited by BartSimpson on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volenti non fit injuria
User avatar
BartSimpson
20K Club
 
Posts: 26783
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Can Ex Force me to get minor a passport?

Unread postby ForumVenter 1 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am

benjyedwards wrote:Let's put spite aside for a minute. How about offering to sign the document and approve the trip for a fee? Say $3,000.


Ummmm...Is that considered a bribe or a ransom? Either way, that will definitely not sound good in court.

Now I'll let you get back to cutting letters out of a magazine so you can complete your letter to Ex.
OH - Residential parent of D after a long distance move by Ex. If your child(ren) aren't a priority, you will have no chance at gaining custody.
ForumVenter 1
500+ Posts
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests