Ex's hearing to Register Foreign Degcree?? Pro Se?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Ex's hearing to Register Foreign Degcree?? Pro Se?

Unread postby Worn_Out » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Hey y'all,

Just got the letter in the mail.

Ex-NJ scheduled a hearing for Registration of Foreign Decree set for Feb.

Divorce and custody battle settled in GA, 2012. Now living in TX, I've got sole custody.
NJ's been in/out of picture per her own volition, mostly out. Thankfully.

I'm military and have no ties to GA, NJ may/may not be living in GA or SC.

What should I expect from this hearing?
Is this something a lawyer needs to be involved in?
Everything is going in our favor and don't want to screw anything up.
Talking with the court, she's been doing it Pro-Se, but who knows if that will change.

She is textbook nut-job, and I'm sure once TX has Registered the Decree more will follow.

What to do?
Worn_Out
50+ Posts

Re: Ex's hearing to Register Foreign Degcree?? Pro Se?

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

My guess is this is a preamble to her trying to change custody and parenting time.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Worn_Out » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Slight Update:

So I went to the court-house.

She is currently pro-se.

She has made several filings with the court, however none have been approved/signed.

One that I found interesting is that she requested that she could telephone in to the hearing.

She stated in the request, that the reason she couldn't attend in person is that, she could not afford to travel to Texas.
Also, she lied on this document, saying that she doesn't know if the defendant would object to her phoning in, because she couldn't get in touch with me. Which is ridiculous, cause my number has been the same for 5 years and she has both my addresses - obviously she never tried to contact me.

What will happen if I go to this and she doesn't show up???
Can she be held in contempt?
How to spin this to make it worth my while??? Any default judgment I should seek?
Worn_Out
50+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:57 pm

What will happen if I go to this and she doesn't show up???
Can she be held in contempt?
How to spin this to make it worth my while??? Any default judgment I should seek?

Why do you care what happens?? No, most likely she won't be held in contempt just for that.

Why do you want to "spin" this to your benefit? Do you know what you want? Do you even know, for sure, what she wants??? (not clear to me so far). Seeking a default judgment on what?

Stop getting worked up over nothing for now. Do your part and go to court, and try to find out what she wants, first. Then you / we can answer your other questions rationally.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Worn_Out » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:00 pm

"Why do you care what happens??"
Seriously?? 80% of the questions on here are 'what if' scenarios.
I'd like an idea of what happens at these hearings so I can be prepared. Should I get the lawyer involved, or is this just a formality to get the custody order registered in TX and will need the lawyer once she shedules the next hearing.

"...just for that."
Seriously, someone scheduling court then not showing up isn't a big deal??

Why do you want to "spin" this to your benefit?
Because of the above, plus she has shown to courts in GA she is nuts and has no respect for the court or their decrees. She is going to do the same in TX, I'd like it noted to the judge now in preparation for the consecutive rounds of games to be played.

Do you even know, for sure, what she wants???
The earth, the sun, and all the stars to bow down before her. Besides that, probably just full custody of my kids, despite the fact she has only seen them for just one hour in the past four years and can't even afford a plane ticket to go to the court hearing which she scheduled.

Seeking a default judgment on what?
Don't know, I asked first.

Stop getting worked up over nothing for now.
Nope, not worked up, just being aware and trying to be properly prepared. It's just a bit irritating that I have to take time off work, possibly hire lawyer, drive an hour to court, prepare paperwork, etc, and she has the nerve to not even show up.

Do your part and go to court, and try to find out what she wants, first.
Can she make other requests at a hearing to register a foreign decree? Or will judge only hear about registering the GA custody order?

I will try and contact Mrs Psycho to see what she wants.

Thanks,
Worn_Out
50+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I would think that registering a foreign decree is actually to your benefit. Should you pursue anything in court, you'll have to do that anyway. She's honestly doing your job for you, here.

This isn't criminal court, sir. Not showing up to a hearing happens all the time. Court doesn't care at all. Put something on my agenda and then don't show? Guess who has a free afternoon and you to thank?

The purpose of family court is not to punish people. Your ideas of contempt are misinformed, silly, and show a lack of understanding of the system which you seek to leverage. You should inform yourself, sir.

Besides that, probably just full custody of my kids

Whoa, flag on the play, Chief.

While you used your penis to make those kids, you did it with the help of her vagina. You can complain about that all you like, but those are her kids are well. This statement shows your mindset, and it's a troubling one.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Do you even know, for sure, what she wants???
The earth, the sun, and all the stars to bow down before her. Besides that, probably just full custody of my kids, despite the fact she has only seen them for just one hour in the past four years and can't even afford a plane ticket to go to the court hearing which she scheduled.

Seeking a default judgment on what?
Don't know, I asked first.

Stop getting worked up over nothing for now.
Nope, not worked up, just being aware and trying to be properly prepared. It's just a bit irritating that I have to take time off work, possibly hire lawyer, drive an hour to court, prepare paperwork, etc, and she has the nerve to not even show up.

Do your part and go to court, and try to find out what she wants, first.
Can she make other requests at a hearing to register a foreign decree? Or will judge only hear about registering the GA custody order?

I will try and contact Mrs Psycho to see what she wants.

Thanks,

OP, let me try again.

I understand your trying to be proactive, but in the absence of additional information it serves no purpose to worry. If indeed all of a sudden she wants full custody after all this time she has zero chances - however she will get some parenting time, no doubt. How much - up to the judge. As for you, don't question even for a second whether or not to get a lawyer ("possibly hire a lawyer"? really?). Even though you don't know what she wants, and even though her chances of her getting full custody are nil, this, by definition, is a serious matter and you should have representation.

As far as other requests I think if she wanted that, she would have to file another motion and you should be made aware ahead of time. So no, I don't think she can make other requests at the same time without a motion.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

lionel2013 wrote:So no, I don't think she can make other requests at the same time without a motion.

Nitpicking, but she can make all the requests that she wants. The question is whether the court will entertain them. It is unlikely that a court would do so.
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Worn_Out » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Besides that, probably just full custody of my kids

Sorry, just a bad attempt at humor after a mildly stressful day.

Certainly not my mindset, I have done all that I can to ensure the boys have two parents actively in their lives. I've done the best I can, and a damn good job actually. My desire is to keep them safe, healthy and happy wherever they are; unfortunately the egg donor can't see past her own nose, and only desires self-satisfaction at the expense of her children. This hit me out of the blue today, which highlights my current lack of knowledge on these subjects and I stick to my original intention of posting which is to be prepared and informed, and not going into this blindly.

Thanks for your help.
Worn_Out
50+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Claims humor while calling ex an egg donor.

Nice try, OP. Good luck in court with that approach.
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On