Traveling to Mexico

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: Traveling to Mexico

Unread postby boxinabag » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post an update and try to answer the questions.

minute: The state is South Carolina, and my attorney legally represented me in court during the divorce.

UPDATE: I went to apply and needed a true copy of the order, not just a photocopy, so I ordered that copy and received it this week.

We just left the passport office and they took the documentation and were also not sure if it would go through or not, so we submitted it. The sheer mention of < parenting time > could stop the processing of the passport, and we may need the mothers consent.

So we have submitted the paperwork and left a message for my attorney, hoping to hear back on Monday with how to proceed. If the processing of the passport ends up requiring her consent it is going to be difficult to find her and if we do, I highly doubt she will sign. So I am assuming that we will have to get the court to order her to sign it.

A few questions I have:

If we have to go through the courts to get this signed, what is the usual turn around time for a matter like this?

If they order her to sign but can not reach her, will the judge just rule it as not needed or will we have to amend the order to remove the mention of < parenting time >?

Thank you
boxinabag
50+ Posts

Unread postby boxinabag » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

Figured I would put an update on here. We received the letter from the Department of the State today and it is being held for 90 days until we can provide proof of sole legal custody.

I left a message for my attorney and I believe we are going to try and get the order clarified or amended so it is clear that it is sole legal custody. If that becomes more difficult than we expect than we may see if the judge will grant an order to get the passport.

Has anyone had experience in the latter of the two? What the process of this will be?

Thanks!
boxinabag
50+ Posts

Unread postby itech » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 pm

TXDaddy1 wrote:I had to provide the orders at the time of passport application. Once we had the passport, I didn't need to orders to board the cruise ship with my daughter.

Just a heads up. I would call the cruise line in regards to this. Some cruise lines actually check and require a notarized document if both parent's aren't present at the time of boarding. I would call the cruise line and explain the situation just in case anything arises and see what they require. having a passport alone will not guarantee entry to the ship
Last edited by itech on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itech
10+ Posts

Unread postby boxinabag » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,

We have received the passport.

A little update for anyone trying to obtain one in the future.

The order does in fact HAVE to say "Sole Custody", or "Sole Legal Custody".

We were given 90 days to present proof that my custody was sole, sadly the language on my original order only said "Custody". It was an incredibly ambiguous order and we needed to have it resolved. I would HIGHLY suggest having your attorney's be as specific as possible when writing the order, otherwise you can be in my shoes where you have to have it amended, multiple times. So my original order was amended twice in the past and the attorney originally wanted to find my ex and have her sign the paperwork, this was unacceptable and took a letter to the bar to get it resolved. Once my attorney received that letter he acted very quickly and sent a "Corrective Order" fixing the error and changing the order from "custody" to "Sole custody". Once I received that I was able to over night it to the Passport Processing center and 2 weeks later we received my sons passport in the mail.

Now I have to call the Passport Center to get my paperwork back because it wasn't sent back, but that is a small issue lol.
boxinabag
50+ Posts

Unread postby Minerva » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Your attorney sucked. I'm not even close to an attorney and I know how bad of a mistake that was.

Also the fact that it didn't address child support was a major screw up. You technically could walk into the family support office and get a retroactive order from the time you've had the child full time. And in fact you should, because any mom who would abandon their kid is a piece of < feces > and shouldn't be able to live in peace.

I have a friend who worked in child support enforcement. They would spend 10x the effort on deadbeat moms, just because they get trashed for being sexist and only going after dads.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Unread postby boxinabag » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I probably should, but until we get done with our trip I will stay clear from her just to be safe lol. Once that is all done we have thought about it but weren't sure if it was required since there was no mention of child support payments.
boxinabag
50+ Posts

Previous

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On