How much did it cost you?!

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

Re: How much did it cost you?!

Unread postby bigDoodle66 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Ive been separated 3 years and divorced almost 2. Of the 15k in debt, I only have about 3.5k left. I stayed in the marital home, which I couldn't afford alone. Removed all non-essential costs, picked up multiple secondary jobs and had a roomate for a year or so. Oh, and just spent a bunch to get a release of liability so the home is in my name only.
bigDoodle66
500+ Posts

Unread postby letgoandletgod » Sun May 08, 2016 10:18 am

$450 for the uncontested divorce.
Probably $100 for all the trips we had to make for the paperwork, gas, public transportation costs.
So like $550. We're going to get a separation agreement still though, but the cost will most likely be covered by Legal Aid.
letgoandletgod
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun May 08, 2016 10:21 am

Note the prior poster is in Canada, not the United States nor any of it's 51 jurisdictions.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Syntax » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:34 am

I spent about 10k without it going to trial. It was money I didn't have. Time with my daughter trumped attorney fees. I wasn't afraid of the cost of trial, rather the risk of less parental time.

Edit: I did however keep my attorney consults down and didn't ask for corrections to be made for settlement stuff I knew my wife wasn't going to accept anyway. My wife spent double but she's a control freak... who hired a good attorney.
Syntax
10+ Posts

Unread postby boydcat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:32 am

Initial attorney got me for about 12k and my ex and I settled. Her attorney nailed her for 36k before she fired him and decided to settle.

I had to spend about another 4k on another attorney to fix the QDRO's and how the decree was written up regarding the selling of the house by the previous attorney. We were very successful in getting these changes through court which will save me 50k-100k depending on when the house sells.

I spent another 2k on another attorney earlier this year to get parenting plan changed along with child support. My youngest boy (14) had been living with me full time for ten months. I was successful in getting full custody.
Very rare here.. I ended up with full custody of all three of my kids, mostly all by their own choice.

Summary: about 18k in attorney fees on a divorce that did not go to trial. However I have full custody of 3 teenagers. This is my first post here.. been lurking...
Last edited by boydcat on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boydcat
10+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:48 am

Since you went through a parenting time change and a custody change can you start a thread and tell your story?
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby boydcat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 am

Yes, I have been thinking about starting a "my story ". I will start one whenever I get a chance... pretty busy... I am three years out from my divorce. Daughter 18 and boys 17 and 14. Should I put it in the before and during divorce section?
boydcat
10+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 am

That's where I would put it.
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it
lovingfatherof2
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby chuck123 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:04 am

I spent $1500. We had everything figured out and just needed the lawyer for the due-dilegence. She wanted the the divorce. Did I go for 50-50 or my "pound of flesh"...no. Did I want to put my kids out of their home or have them experience a litigious battle...no. I got what I needed. We are still a family and that is important to me, for them. My ex deserves credit for this as well. It takes two to tango and she could have been an a-hole as well. The moral of the story is that no one wins in divorce. Cut your losses and get out, lawyers cost a LOT of money. If you can do it, suck it up and do it.
chuck123
10+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:05 am

What do you mean "I got what I needed"? Sure you can get a cheap divorce and justify it by saying the kids didn't have to go through a nasty battle in the house, but at what cost in your parenting time?

Not saying you fell on your sword, but to those reading the thread, of course walking away and taking whatever deal will make your X STFU will likely be the cheapest route financially. But it could also be the worst thing for your kids: an EOW Dad.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

PreviousNext

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On