How much did it cost you?!

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

How much did it cost you?!

Unread postby haole » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:29 am

I just got an update on my attorney fee.

I knew it was going to be expensive but it freaked me out.

How much did your divorce end up costing you? Any tips for cutting down cost?
haole
10+ Posts

Re: How much did it cost you?!

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:31 am

Hello,

That is not the purpose of this forum. Would you like to discuss your case?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 am

Still an interesting conversation to have
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 am

And it always includes the punchline "Because it's worth it."

There is nothing interesting about taking a poll on legal fees.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Healey100 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:17 am

One of the greatest cost-reducing things I did was respond directly to OP's many harassing and duplicate requests for information (with my attorney's review). Their strategy, it seems, was to bury me in threatening letters and unreasonable requests.

I'm a fairly decent writer and familiar with legal issues, so I was able to draft up the responses myself rather than pay my attorney $360+/hour to do it for me. I probably saved a couple thousand doing that. On the flipside, I was able to create additional work for her attorney, so my efforts no doubt cost her at least a thousand more.

I'd only recommend this if you have an attorney who is willing to look over your work prior to sending it.

As for what the whole thing cost me... somewhere in the neighborhood of a new Harley-Davidson.
Healey100
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:21 am

One of the greatest cost-reducing things I did was respond directly to OP's many harassing and duplicate requests for information (with my attorney's review).
If you are represented by an attorney, you cannot directly communicate with the opposing counsel.

Would you care to clarify what exactly you did?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby bigDoodle66 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am

Don't use your attorney as a therapist and come here and ask first before engaging your attorney.

I failed at managing my first attorney and am still paying the bills. My latest attorney is being managed properly and thus I owe nothing.
bigDoodle66
500+ Posts

Unread postby Healey100 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 am

BartSimpson wrote:
One of the greatest cost-reducing things I did was respond directly to OP's many harassing and duplicate requests for information (with my attorney's review).
If you are represented by an attorney, you cannot directly communicate with the opposing counsel.

Would you care to clarify what exactly you did?

1. My counsel would receive letters & requests not directly related to the divorce settlement (i.e., "Please remind your client that he needs to pay for a plumber to come fix a leaky faucet at the family home", and "Please remind your client that he's responsible for snow removal", and my favorite "Please provide ALL sources of income" (despite only having one job and previously handing over 12 months of pay statements & W2).

2. Letters would be handed over to me, and I would draft detailed responses, addressed to MY attorney.

3. My counsel would review these, we might discuss them briefly, and he'd send them to OP along with a cover letter which basically said "see my client's response"

4. We'd wait & repeat with subsequent responses.

Basically, her counsel was trying to drive up my legal fees and harass me with easily addressed issues that actually were non-issues. My attorney was a good guy who recognized what was going on & felt that I was capable of responding appropriately. If I had wished, he would have responded to these directly, but at a cost.
Healey100
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks - that is an excellent example of how to deal with these matters.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Chasbo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:25 am

About $1500

Didnt let my heart rule my head, kept my eye on the prize, did a cost benefit analysis on everything I did. Didn't have a super NJ.

I work with attorneys all the time. I know how much they cost. How much/little they can do. Most the deals done here are very simple or could be very simple.

On the other hand if you married a total psycho who doesn't work, it could get very expensive. You made a mistake
Chasbo
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On