how do I petition to get half my wifes retirement fund?

Your divorce and child custody agreements are final, get practical tips for moving on with your life after divorce.

how do I petition to get half my wifes retirement fund?

Postby edVonBlue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 pm

In the final order, the judge awarded me half of my wife's retirement fund. But I have to give her notice and petition. I need to figure out what to include in the petition...does anyone have a draft that I could use as a blueprint???
edVonBlue
10+ Posts

Re: how do I petition to get half my wifes retirement fund?

Postby madalex » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:09 pm

This is something that you want to make sure gets done right (especially if the amount of money is significant) so you may want to hire an attorney to help you with this.
madalex
500+ Posts

Postby dmkndl » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 pm

and, I believe the term is called Qualified Domestic Relations Order. That sounds strange that the judge would give you something but mae you go through some other petition to get it. Maybe, he meant QDRO?
dmkndl
100+ Posts

Postby Lawrence » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Also contact the retirement fund managers and find out what their paperwork and procedures are for doing this. Most retirement funds policies include procedures for spliting the funds in case of divorce. This is a common occurrance for them.
What has been Seen, Cannot be Un-Seen!
Lawrence
1K+ Posts

Postby edVonBlue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Yes, it is called a "Qualified Domestic Relations Order". I have found a sample order from the people with whom my ex had her retirement fund with. Now I just need to file a notice and petition to my ex. I'm going to the law library this week to see if I can find an example of such a petition...unless anyone here can suggest a way that I can get it on-line?
I should be only getting about $2500 from this, so hiring an attorney wouldnt be worth it.
edVonBlue
10+ Posts

Return to After The Divorce is Final – Moving On