Health Insurance

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Health Insurance

Unread postby Snowblower » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Indiana
IN S5 D8
Snowblower
50+ Posts

Unread postby Snowblower » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 am

lionel2013 wrote:
The paragraph he quoted about not changing anything, including "beneficiary designations", applies to things like pension, 401k, life insurance policy. It does not specifically state anything about medical insurance where it's more than about beneficiaries, it's about dependents.

Nevertheless, as is I don't think he's obligated to keep on covering her. If I were him I'd just let her go for it and try to get a judge to order it.

I think I agree with this. Like I said, the requested provisional orders by her requested this specifically and that was never signed. The counter stipulation I did is specific to financial matters and medical was not included. I agree with TJin that it will be challenged by OC as misinterpreted but that is a miss on their part. If they want it they will get it but I want her to have to request it (and pay for that request). As for negotiations, her income for calculating CS and SS was based on part time hours and not full so I would like to revisit this. I jumped on the stipulation signing because this secured the house and 50/50 for me. Maybe I can get this reduced a little bit.

As for taxes for 2018 I am not that worried about it because the amount of SS paid will probably be less than the standard deduction still with the new tax laws. Not sure, I will do some calculating just to make sure.

The little win here for me is that I am trying very hard to move action on this and she is stalling. The reason she is stalling is because she is trying to get halfway through the year with TO giving her CS, SS insurances etc and she does not have to do anything. She is avoiding mediation and has not responded to any PSA proposals. Although an accident this might help drive some action. Thats my other post I need to rekindle. Good advice, thanks guys.
IN S5 D8
Snowblower
50+ Posts

Unread postby TJinCA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Snowblower wrote:As for taxes for 2018 I am not that worried about it because the amount of SS paid will probably be less than the standard deduction still with the new tax laws. Not sure, I will do some calculating just to make sure.

You know, I was thinking about this and just went back and checked my return from last year. I noticed that SS paid is not really a deduction (doesn't show up on Schedule A) but an adjustment which is subtracted from Total Income (1040 line 22) to get to Adjusted Gross Income (1040 line 37) and then deductions are subtracted to get to Taxable Income (1040 line 43).

So I think for orders prior to 2019 you'll be able to subtract spousal support from your income, and in addition be able to take the $12,000 standard deduction (or itemize other deductions like mortgage interest, SALT, etc. if they exceed your standard deduction).
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum