Divorce in Utah - questions

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Divorce in Utah - questions

Unread postby TJinCA » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

secondscount wrote:I was asking the question about the open marriage as I didn't know how the court would rule in case she decided to get more out of the divorce than what she is asking for.

I think the court would look at the "open marriage" issue as a decision mutually accepted by both parties (even if both didn't actually engage in outside relationships). So even if you tried to do a fault-based divorce on grounds of adultery (assuming that you didn't also engage in adultery) I think you'd have a pretty weak argument once her attorney pointed out that you'd agreed to an open marriage.

Also from what I can see adultery (whether sanctioned by the other spouse(s) or not is illegal in Utah and it sounds like under the law you may both be guilty of a misdemeanor.

If it were me I wouldn't bring that up. Just try to get an equitable split on your stuff and be done with it.
TJinCA
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Agreed. She may have introduced the idea but it was a mutual decision. You're equally responsible.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 am

Being right will be very expensive and have no upside. Or you could quickly get divorced, have over half your assets (equitable) and a STBX that seems to be reasonable. You can't have both.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Minerva » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:17 am

secondscount wrote:I was asking the question about the open marriage as I didn't know how the court would rule in case she decided to get more out of the divorce than what she is asking for.

Not sure the details of Utah but in most states it means absolutely nothing. Even in states with fault and adultery cause if you had sex with her after she slept around on you it's considered reconciliation and doesn't hold weight. The court doesn't care how much of a < edited > she is, they want an equitable split.

An equitable split on a 27 year marriage is typically you giving her half of everything and then supporting her lifestyle for many years (often for life after 20 years of marriage).

Yeah your dreams are crushed and it feels like a raping, but you are getting a very good end to this deal. I would run to the courthouse before she realizes that no one cares about her bedroom habits and she's giving up a lifetime of alimony.

Women have a way of rationalizing their bad behavior. Watch how fast she spins the "open marriage" idea into being something you forced upon her and she had to go along with it because she wanted to save the marriage. At that point she has no guilt about what happened and is cool with going to court. If you end up at trial, you're going to be very sad.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Minerva wrote:Women have a way of rationalizing their bad behavior.

Men too.
dad2grls
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum