Foreign Divorce

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Foreign Divorce

Unread postby SCGator14 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Gentlemen, please be easy.

Facts, marriage to woman from Ukraine. Have not seen her since 05/08/16. After marriage found out she has, her words, major health issues. Needs treatments costing $300+ per month and this was simply not budgeted nor disclosed. Was told on a number of occasions that she is about to die. Spirituality is vastly different. AFTER marriage mentioned she would NOT arrive unless her 27 year old son immigrated with her. Has not attained a VISA, have not seen her since 05/08/16 and am needing to move on.

I need to put this behind me. Objectively have read immigration laws and it states if spirituality is vastly different that the approval is not guarenteed and often refused.

Desire, annullment. Is this possible? Marriage was consumated so this is not a reason. However the details on health I think may qualify this for annullment. I KNOW a lot of this is my fault and in the future will CERTAINLY have a checklist for ANY woman. But now I must do this. Again, she lives overseas with OUT an America Visa so there is no cohabitation. And her inability to attain access to the USA is not possible. We have no children, no business so this is clean. Just need to know how to proceed.

Obviously, if annullment is not possible divorce should be. I do not see a judge disallowing this and since there is no property of the marriage and no children and NO cohabitation in more than 1.5 years that a lot of the factors do not fit.

So, annullment, is this a viable solution? If so, how long, ESTIMATED, should this take? Divorce, second choice, would then be viable. If so, how long, given the specifics listed above, take for completion?

Please, again, be easy. I know there are things here that make me stupid for proceeding but at this point there is NOTHING I can do to change this. ONLY move forward.
SCGator14
10+ Posts

Re: Foreign Divorce

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Mail order bride?
What country were you married in?
How long was marriage?
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 pm

do you currently send her money?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby whatever_works » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:58 pm

According to a radio lawyer, divorce is far easier than annulment and gets the same job done. So, why do you desire annulment and not a divorce?

If I were you, I'd pay a lawyer for an hour (or get a free consult) with these questions and start there. This forum tries to help other dads get more time with their children.
whatever_works
500+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 pm

It's a men's divorce forum. Paternity isn't required.

OP annulment is definitely more complicated. The fact that she's international is another complication. I don't know that you're going to be able to do this without an attorney. Do you expect her to contest it?
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 pm

What US state were you married? how long is the marriage and where do you reside now?
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Were you married in the United States?? It matters.

SCGator14 wrote:.....if annulment is not possible divorce should be.
You've been married too long for annulment. You're looking at divorce. It's obvious she's abandoned the marriage.

With her out of the country, there's gonna be complications. You're gonna need an attorney.

SCGator14 wrote:Was told on a number of occasions that she is about to die.
Sounds to me like she's shaming you.....trying to bilk you out of money. Be careful. Once you send her money, your giving will never cease.

SCGator14 wrote: AFTER marriage mentioned she would NOT arrive unless her 27 year old son immigrated with her.
You mustn't sponsor anyone or else you'll be on the hook to support them while they're here.

SCGator14 wrote:.....her inability to attain access to the USA is not possible.
This could be a blessing disguise.

Tom
Like football, family court is a game of inches. A John Madden strategy
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm

You've been married too long for annulment. You're looking at divorce.

Based on?

That's state specific, and not a blanket statement to be trusted.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Havalu7 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm

What's your husband's rank or position?
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Havalu7 wrote:What's your husband's rank or position?

What?
Chaos

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum