Response to Motion

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Response to Motion

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Apologies on my part for not being clear. My attorney said that her attorney would file all the motions to eat up her retainer. These attorneys know each other. Mine said there's no way hers would give any money back to her, so he'd file a bunch of BS to take her money. That's exactly what happened. So, that's why I questioned if I should advise her about this. But, you guys are right. Don't do it. It would be more conflict.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Papa,

You were perfectly clear. You are not understanding how this works. When her attorney files a motion, YOUR attorney has to respond. That. Costs. Money. (for you).

You had better reign your attorney in. He's eyeing his new Porsche 911 payment. The 2018s are hella sweet. Every one of them is turbocharged now.
Last edited by Campfire on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 pm

What do I tell my attorney to do about that? I not sure about this part of the process.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm

_ProudPoppa_ wrote:What do I tell my attorney to do about that? I not sure about this part of the process.

Can you give us an idea of what you think attorney management is? This form of communication has inherent problems due to a lack of visual and auditory clues so it would help if you could elaborate on your thought process.

This forum saved me thousands of dollars in attorney fees. I'd like to pass on the savings to members such as you.

Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

I think managing my attorney involves him not doing any extraneous work that pads his bank account. He file a few simple motions for me. We filed for divorce first. They responded with a bunch of BS. My attorney emailed their response to me. That's where we are now. But, he warned me about her attorney. That's why I was contemplating advising NJ about that. Because I know it will cost me money to rebut those motions.

But at this point, I'm just waiting for my hearing on Tuesday. I limit my emails to my attorney so I'm not running up,my tab. I have lots of questions to ask home while we're waiting outside of the court room.

Don't we have to fight their silly motions? I'm not sure what to do. I didn't even know I have an option at this point.

You guys always give spot on advice. I'm greatful. But, I don't know what to do right now.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm

How do I stop her attorney from filing all the motions? The part that confuses me is that we have to respond. So,I'm not sure what I tell my attorney to do differently, or not to do?

I'm on pins and needles here, Campfire!! What do,I do???
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Papa,

You can't control her or stop her for the most part. You control you. Saving your questions for when you're at court is excellent money management. As long as you are not engaging in a "war of motions", I think it will work out. Sometimes folks get caught up in the emotional aspect of "getting even" by filing frivolous counter motions.

What do you consider "Essential Communication" at this point in regards to the mother?

Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks, CF. I actually wish my attorney contacted me more. Just to ease my mind. But I know the rule that he's not my therapist. As petitioner, he filed for 50/50 parenting time, and sole use of the home, and no property removal/damage. Pretty basic. They file with some erroneous BS. He just passed it on to me, and asked me to clarify any errors in their bogus claims/ motions.
-- that I was almost kicked out of the military. (False, Honorable discharge).

--That I'm an alcoholic (false, I don't drink in front of our daughter. An maybe 2 beers a month).

Blah blah.

I didn't file any more motions back. I don't want to get even with her. I just want this done reasonably. It's silly for her to ask for sole custody when our state starts you at 50/50. It's state law. So, I would give her more money than the court would award if she just smartened up about this.

Essential communication-- FaceTime our daughter once a day. We discuss pick up/drop off time. She told me her brother was over for his birthday. He's a good dude and I'll miss him. But that's it.

Oh, she just moved out, so,maybe "hey, do,you have that thing my mom bought?. I'd like it back. Thank you". But that's via text. Soon I'll move to email.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Although NJ makes a bit of a show about it all, she's a good mom. And I would tell the Judge that. But, I'm also a good dad. And I truly feel our daughter would benefit most by having both of us in her life equally. I just wish I could make her see this. But, like the rest of them, she has $$ in her eyes.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Knock off that FaceTime BS. Every day? If seeing your daughter every day was that important, you wouldn't have sued for divorce.

This every day contact with the mother is creating conflict. What about backing off a bit...?

1. Was it an honorable discharge with a reduction in rank?

2. The amount of alcohol consumption isn't the sole indicator of alcoholism.

Right now, your consumption of alcohol is causing a problem in your life. The mother is attempting to paint you as a substance abuser. Can you stop drinking entirely for the duration of this proceeding?

Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum