Just Got Served

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Just Got Served

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am

OP was told things repeatedly, only he would prefer to pay $5K to hear it.

This is why you block access to funds. Its easier to divvy up and use as leverage as opposed to chasing after it. Your lawyer played you for a sucker. You didn't need your lawyers permission to secure another financial institution and relocate all assets. Essentially, everything she has taken, you have taken half as well, you are GIVING her free money. Money that could have been used to fund your legal defense and save as much of it as possible.

You will be the first to say how the courts are biased but couldn't be bothered to make prudent choices from shared experiences.

Here is another free piece of adivce you prefer to pay for: She isn't going to listen to a darn thing you say, so keep hoping she will run things by you before she spends more money. You should get some bino's to locate your twig and berries.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:47 am

Euronymous wrote:Then last week I was away at a sales conference and came back to find that she had written another check (this time for $10k) for a contractor for the remodel she wants, and a credit card charge for $1,100 for a building permit.
You and I both know this could've been prevented. While the cat's away.....

It doesn't take rocket science to see what's in your not-too-distant future.

Euronymous wrote:.....I'm largely convinced I have found the best attorney in my city (and his office is a short 20 minute drive), and I feel great relief to be in such good hands.
You: "My attorney handles everything. That's what I pay him for."

You may have the best attorney in town (.....that remains to be seen, BTW). But you don't mention anything about managing your case personally and proactively.

Speaking of attorneys, have you got a back-up?? In this game, it behooves you to have a Plan-B for everything, including your attorney. You never know when you'll need it.

She's miles ahead of you, Bro. And still, YOU HAVE NO GAME PLAN.

Euronymous wrote:.....he helped me see how her demands were highly unreasonable and would never be granted in a court of law.
Court??

It'll be months before you see a family court judge. And meanwhile, nothing prevents her from spending marital assets. As suggested repeatedly, you should've closed your bank account.

As an addendum to your most recent filing, to prevent her from dissipating assets further, you should've filed an Injunction in ex parte. Didn't your attorney mention that??

The moment your STBX filed, an ATRO should've taken effect immediately. Didn't your attorney tell you that??

You need an Emergency Hearing ASAP. You need to get your STBX in front of the judge. You also need a Temporary Order. Your attorney should be on top of this.

In WA State, what county are you in??

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm

For all of our newer members reading this thread, make sure you read it from start to finish.

The originator of this thread has beautifully illustrated the cliche, "Some folks purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others."

The OP was told repeatedly how to go about his situation. He hemmed and hawed. He spent Thou$ands on attorney fees. All for nothing. He is right where he started except his STBX has dissipated five figures in marital property. She is running the show and the OP is on the ropes.

Let his failure to act serve as a warning for how quickly things can go down hill. Do not let his sacrifices, nay, his immolation be in vain. Warm your hands by the fire on this cold November day with the scent of long pork wafting on the breeze...
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Euronymous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 pm

As an addendum to your most recent filing, to prevent her from dissipating assets further, you should've filed an Injunction in ex parte. Didn't your attorney mention that??

Yes, he is doing that. This will be part of what she is served with tomorrow or Monday.

The moment your STBX filed, an ATRO should've taken effect immediately. Didn't your attorney tell you that??

He sure did. He told me flat out that I wasn't two months late in doing this, but between the financial improprieties and pattern of verbal and physical abuse that I was at least two years late in doing this!

You need an Emergency Hearing ASAP. You need to get your STBX in front of the judge. You also need a Temporary Order. Your attorney should be on top of this.

That is exactly what we are doing. I didn't provide the full details in my update.

In WA State, what county are you in??

King County

For all of our newer members reading this thread, make sure you read it from start to finish.

Fair enough, and I am fully accepting of this. Perhaps my hesitance can serve as a case study in how not to manage a divorce. Perhaps, in the end, this is how I can give back for all that I've received here.
Euronymous
50+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Euro,

It would help if you understood how many mistakes we all have made. ----------> A lot.

We've already learned from the school of hard knocks. I'm not here to beat you down. I'm here to beat you UP. Dust off your pants and get in the game. It's not too late. Read your thread over again and start implementing the strategies that have been outlined. Stop paying your attorney's Porsche payment. Divorce isn't this black and white game that you think it is. The fact of the matter is that nobody gives a flying feck about you or your kid. They care about your money.
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:19 pm

Euronymous wrote:You need an Emergency Hearing ASAP. You need to get your STBX in front of the judge. You also need a Temporary Order. Your attorney should be on top of this.

That is exactly what we are doing. I didn't provide the full details in my update.
Please enlighten us with details. That's why we're here.

1) That means you have a bona-fide Temporary Order, an Injunction, from ex parte in your hands, right??

2) That means you have a hearing date in family court, right?? When is it??

Euronymous wrote:King County
Without doubt, that would be WA State's most liberal jurisdiction. It would behoove YOU therefore, to be very prepared.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm

OP on the west Coast you have plenty of time TODAY to get to the banks and close the spicket.

Take these funds to a new institution so she is not able to go down and “woe is me” to the 30 something branch manager who will not be able to withstand her pressure to overlook the mistake you inadvertently made by not including her on the new account you created.

Get back to us AFTER you turn off the faucet or you will be back here on Monday telling about the water damage in your financial house after YOU let the water run rampantly ALL Friday and this weekend.

Make sense?
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby MegaDad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

please please PLEASE, go to the freaking bank and remove the funds TODAY! She has demonstrated multiple times that she doesn't give a hoot about your feelings on the matter and I can say with certainty that YOU WILL NOT GET IN TROUBLE FOR DOING THIS!!

If the check hasn't been cashed or deposited you can issue a STOP PAYMENT on it to keep those funds in house.

Come on dude.....we want to help you here, and I don't want to pile on because enough of us have done that already. But JFC man, you acknowledge we were right in the advice we gave before and you admit your fault in ignoring it. Please do not make the same mistake twice.

Also, stuff might work differently in WA than in MI where I am, but I work for a large international financial institution and I've never heard of financial restraining orders. Has your bank been supplied with a copy of this order? IS it an actual order? Because your attorney cannot draft any documents that compel any type of action unless there is a court order backing it up. Is this the case?
Last edited by MegaDad on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MegaDad
500+ Posts

Unread postby MegaDad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Also PLEASE start a new thread. This thread and the Illiad are starting to become comparable in length....
MegaDad
500+ Posts

Unread postby Euronymous » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 pm

STBX was served with a financial and physical restraining order on Monday night. No monies can be taken from any account with exception of our joint personal checking account (currently in four figures). Emergency hearing is set for November 27th. STBX's response is due this Friday, which includes about 50 pages of interrogatories, after which my attorney and I will prepare a "response to her response". I have a half hour meeting with attorney again tomorrow.

STBX insists she will not retain a lawyer and that we'll reach an agreement pursuant to our hearing. We shall see!
Euronymous
50+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum