Just Got Served

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Just Got Served

Unread postby Havalu7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 pm

And OP why are you waiting to speak to the attorney before protecting your assets?

Move the funds and IF your counsel gives you a VERY good reason; then move it back. I'm pretty sure that the vets here will be able to counter any good reason to move it back with real life experience here on that matter.

Bro have you ever tried to get money back from a debit card transaction that was fraudulently made versus a credit card?

You will not get it back and you will lose said funds. Good news here is if it happens and her track record that you quote looks like it is going to; then you can come back here as a highly paid volunteer telling new guys right where you are now that you SHOULD have listened to these gents.

But what the heck the pay is great here and its really fun helping guys.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 pm

In nature, they call it presenting.
Euronymous wrote:Counted $1,800 in ATM withdrawals over eight transactions since the beginning of July. Good times!

I'm going to wait to see what the attorney says...
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Campfire » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 pm

We have dads that actually want and need our help. This guy is ignoring our advice. 14 page thread. Nothing has changed. I'm out.
The List: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/father_divor ... hp?t=13374

The question is how much conflict you can control, negate, or avoid.
Campfire
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm

You can say that again.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Euronymous wrote:I'm going to wait to see what the attorney says....
Famous last words.

BTW - Don't say you weren't warned.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Bazing! 2 thumbs up
Outis wrote:You can say that again.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby dad2grls » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Chances are if this goes the contested legal court battle route, she'll win primary custody and you'll be paying through the nose in child support. Sorry but that's just how it goes in most jurisdictions and all the tape recordings you have of her screaming won't change a thing.

Seems to me like the only dealbreaker is the Wednesday exchange thing, you need to make it clear that you cannot sign a deal unless that's changed.

You WANT to settle this, especially if she's giving you close to 50/50 custody. It's the best deal you'll ever get.
dad2grls
50+ Posts

Unread postby Ryedog » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:57 pm

dad2grls wrote:Chances are if this goes the contested legal court battle route, she'll win primary custody and you'll be paying through the nose in child support. Sorry but that's just how it goes in most jurisdictions and all the tape recordings you have of her screaming won't change a thing.

It all depends on the judge, but joint custody is pretty much the norm. I think you mean 50/50 parenting time, which is different than custody. Depends on the State and, ultimately the judge, but generally speaking, there should be no reason why he shouldn't get 50/50 parenting time.
Ryedog
New

Unread postby Euronymous » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:24 am

UPDATE:

After doing a considerable amount of research, I selected an attorney to formally prepare my response to the divorce petition. When I laid out my case in front of the attorney and showed him what she was asking for in her petition, he helped me see how her demands were highly unreasonable and would never be granted in a court of law. I was in his office for 20 minutes (20 minutes!), and two days later I had a complete formal response in my hands and filed with the court.

Well, STBX predictably went ballistic and rejected most of what she read, so we were back in limbo. Then last week I was away at a sales conference and came back to find that she had written another check (this time for $10k) for a contractor for the remodel she wants, and a credit card charge for $1,100 for a building permit. As has been the case all along, this was done completely covertly, with no communication or approval from me whatsoever.

I sent copies of the bank statements to the attorney and he called me back into his office for a meeting this afternoon. The result of today's meeting is that I placed a $5k retainer and she is going to be served with a financial restraining order to prevent her from accessing any more money from our accounts. She will be required to present all receipts for any work that has been done on the entire house to date, and also a complete audit will be made of all our accounts to see if anything else is suspicious. There will also be language requiring that she cease any further physical or emotional abuse. STBX will be served at her place of business on Friday or Monday.

So, it's game on. I'm largely convinced I have found the best attorney in my city (and his office is a short 20 minute drive), and I feel great relief to be in such good hands.

I will again apologize to everyone who has taken time to help me along and the understandable frustration of my hesitation. This has been a very difficult process for me, and the net result of your kind guidance is that I'm teed up right how i need to be, even though the ball should've already been the the air long ago.
Euronymous
50+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 am

OP were you not advise to close off her access to funds and accounts?

On my phone but I can’t imagine that strategy was not given to you early on.

Eeee gads man.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum