Parenting plan accommodation language for shift workers

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Parenting plan accommodation language for shift workers

Unread postby afc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm

My philosophy is simple, no one should be punished for being gainfully employed
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

He can always work with her. Especially since he'll have a copy of her schedule.

The orders are a fall-back in case of disagreement. Schedules contingent on outside dynamics and time restraints of information sharing can be difficult to interpret one single way.

And if the orders aren't clear, they aren't any good.
a dad

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm

My ex wife is a shift worker. In plan language, the parenting plan says the mother is a nurse and the father agrees to work around her schedule. The judge approved it.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm posting the final wording of my parenting schedule as reference for future fathers looking for a solution when they search and find this thread. In my specific situation, the mother is working 7p-7:30a with a schedule completely set by her new employer. Over time, she will gain seniority and will have more flexibility in setting her schedule and swapping shifts with others. So this agreement was written with that in mind.

Parenting Time

The intent of this paragraph is for each parent to have shared physical custody of the children, with each parent getting 50% of the available nights per month. The parties further recognize that it may be impossible to achieve a strict adhesion to this intent. The parties recognize that the Mother is a nurse practitioner with < organization > and has a schedule that requires her to work a minimum of 12 days per month.

Mother will provide her schedule to Father not less than 30 days in advance of the start of each month. Father will have parenting time with the children on each day that the Mother works, which shall commence from the time school or day care is released until the start of school or day care the following day. Should Mother's work schedule only encompass one weekend per calendar month, Mother shall provide one additional weekend during that month from Friday after school until Sunday at 6pm. Should Mother's work schedule not encompass any weekends in a calendar month, Mother shall provide two additional weekends from Friday after school until Sunday at 6pm during that month. The intent of this Paragraph is that Father shall have at least two weekends per calendar month taking into account the intent by each party to have 50% of the nights each month with the children.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
50+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:58 pm

On the positive side, good job getting equal parenting time squared away.
a dad

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am

Halt - looks like she is looking to swap kids if she has work on her 7 days? Why can't you just offer to watch kids until she can come pick them up?

If she works Mon, Wed, Fri, does that mean you get those days that week and what?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 am

Not sure what you mean by "her 7 days".

If she works Mon, Wed, and Fri, then I parent our boys on those nights. If that's her schedule each week for a month, then I also have parenting time during two weekends that month.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
50+ Posts

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:02 am

Just a random thought...whats happens if she switches jobs in 3 to 5 years and ends up working a regular 9 to 5 job. Maybe add some additional language if Mom is no longer a shift worker; parenting plan defaults to mom with child on XXX to XXX days and Dad with child on XXX to XXX Days.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm

you would hope by then the parents have figured it out, but good point.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum