Upcoming Divorce--Questions??

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Upcoming KY divorce--Questions??

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

A quick update-- tomorrow I have a consultation with an attorney who is an American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers "Super Lawyer". Does anyone have any experience with an attorney with this designation? He's the local chapter president of the AAML (the same group that represented Tiger Woods). He has 30 years of experience and now only focuses on family law. Not sure when he switched to only family law.

I'll post back tomorrow after the meeting, but any feedback in the meantime is appreciated.
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:10 pm

My attorneys in CA were designated "Super Lawyers" based on the plaques all over their walls. It didn't prevent me from being frustrated with them and realizing the truth we hear all the time:

You pay for what you get.

If you're a cash cow client then they will be at your beck and call.

IMNSHO, that "Super Lawyer" rating, or whatever it is, is another self congratulatory award cooked up within the industry and probably has more to do with the lawyer's standing within the professional community than as an indication of service to their clients.

I'm willing to be wrong so I'll let the elders of the forum offer their opinions.
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

After looking over some older posts it seems like the consensus on here is that AAML doesn't really carry that much weight. Something like a group they all pay dues into and congratulate each other. That lawyers office called me to cancel my consult due to some emergency he was having, so I never got to meet with him. Oh well, I have two more consults set up, then I'm gonna pick one and get this showboat rolling
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I got great news today!! I met with my Cordell attorney for a consultation...

I told her how Stbx was threatening me with EOW screw job... And the attorney laughed!! She said that is rediculous and where did she get that from? I said from her attorney. My attorney replied that She knows and worked with him before, and he would never say something like that. That he is reasonable. And that our county is very progressive with 50/50 custody. I could barely contain myself. Anyways, I mentioned all the other ways I'm involved with D1, and she said it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, to echo the advice on this board, she said I should go ahead and file. I'm meeting with a known bulldog male attorney next week, then it's ON!!!

I didn't know who else to tell this to, and I knew you guys would appreciate the situation. I'm pumped!!! Thanks again to everyone for the advice. It's really keeping me afloat the last few weeks. I would be a mess without this board!!!!
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 pm

So, here's an update:

I retained an attorney that was recommended by another aggressive attorney. Both of these guys agreed that 50/50 would not be an issue for me to attain. My attorney has a good, long relationship with one of the judges. The other judge is very progressive and predictable. Good news for me.

So, I filed on STBX last week. She's already planning on moving out (yes!), and is almost completely financially untangled from me (she's getting her own car insurance this week).

So, I dared to discuss the upcoming holidays with her, which lead into discussing a parenting plan for the future. I thought I'd test the waters as my state has mandatory mediation. Let me tell you..., it was hilarious. Just like you guys said, she started getting nutty. I calmly discussed with her what courts would favor, but she got very upset with her own lack of legal knowledge. "I don't need to know, ,my lawyer has 40 years of experience." Then she would proceed to tell me some "tender years" BS, finally pounding on the table.

Minor details aside, I would not be as conident as I am without this board. I know this board says not to tip your hand. But, I don't really think I did. I just rebutted her crazy ideas with facts. This made me a "bully" and "manipulator". But, I'm pretty sure I rattled her. And she came away very agreeable to 2/2/3 parenting. Justin trying to save some time and money in the eventual mediation, seeing how the courts here rule 50/50 anyways.

My biggest secret weapon to,keep me cool under pressure-- my DAR. I love this board!!!!
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am

_ProudPoppa_ wrote:Her attorney says I will get the EOW screwjob based on my work schedule.

If your goal is 50/50 don't let anyone talk you out of it. Where there is a will, there is a way. :)

Good work on buying the digital recorder. Alot of new guys fight us on this one. Just to recap the purpose of the digital recorder is to guard against false DV reports. We don;t want you getting kicked out of your own house.

Go radio silent with the STBX and keep posting.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby SoxFan1986 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:45 am

_ProudPoppa_ wrote:So, here's an update:
So, I filed on STBX last week. She's already planning on moving out (yes!), and is almost completely financially untangled from me (she's getting her own car insurance this week).

If she moves out, change the locks ASAP.
SoxFan1986
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:29 am

Nice job on the covert digital audio recorder!

For the new guys; do this ASAP.

OP you can also pick up a shovel and start helping guys in areas you have experience or have gained knowledge of here. Being a highly paid volunteer has many benefits including free passes to the gift shop for those whom qualify.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby _ProudPoppa_ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Holy smokes! Just moments ago Stbx went full nut job. We tried to sit down and hash out the upcoming holiday schedule. She lost it on some minor stuff. Who gets the next weekend or whatever. She starts yelling so I just get up and walk away. She's gets more p!ssed and yells how she'll just move to her dads and keep D1 away from me. I come back and tell her that "I hope you do, our judges don't like that. And you'll look terrible for it". I laugh and go back to my room. But she's right behind me and tries to barge into my room. Luckily I locked it. I though for sure something bad was gonna happen. But I had the DAR on.

Anyone reading this. Please listen to the advice on here. I NEVER thought this stuff would happen in my life. I'm still wondering if I should call the cops?
_ProudPoppa_
10+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 am

Would she have called the police on you for doing the same thing? It’s a fine line. If you didn’t feel safe make the call. But she may then make a false call on you, or lie when they get there. Tough spot brother.

Just be very careful and don’t the hooks. If you engage this may happen again. It’s not worth the chance it gets turned around and she makes the call on you. You can’t control what she does just your reactions.

It’s a shame there are some double standards out there when it comes to the female versus male actions. These are also based on size weight etc etc but be very careful as you have a volitale situation.

Just try to avoid her at all costs and you will get thru this. You also may temper some of your responses knowing or listening to said responses from you on those tapes. I know it feels good to let her have it right back but at what cost. You made it thru this one unscathed; but maybe not the next.

Once again be careful and don’t get caught up in the moment and escalate; retreat into your room.

Make the call if she abuses you! Be safe and I am sure you will get some more input in the am. Up late hoping the boys in blue can pull it out in the last inning.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum