What to expect

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: What to expect

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 pm

So what is recommended? I'm curious with the facts I've laid out, if we end up in litigation, what percentage would a judge lean towards? She will be tough if mediation is ordered. I would need to weigh what a judge would typically award in GA with my offer. If she wants a ridiculous amount or percentage, I would say, "let's take it to the judge", I just need a GA judicial pattern.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:45 pm

does she have proof you < edited > some one else? Did you admit it to her?

You should think about starting with 55/45 asset distribution, her being 55 of course. I would be prepared to go up to 65% otherwise, see what the judge thinks. If there is no child support at stake, you need to weight the cost of litigation vice making this a clean break.

Have you asked her what she wants?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm

50% + the house. Adjust accordingly.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. House equity is 80k so I'd give her 40k + 50% of retirement if I read correctly. I have denied the affair happened. From what I am hearing, email is her only proof.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Yeah, I'd just give her the house. All of it. +50%. But I guess it depends how long you want this to go on.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks massdad & chaos. I just want it over & having y'alls opinions is really helpful. Now I have an idea where to begin if we are ordered mediation or even if I just make her an offer, through my attorney of course.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Have you asked her what she wants? Is she a rational person? Will she understand that the more this drags out the less she gets?

Is she motivated to cut ties too or to punish you? If you offer her the house and 50%, you think she would sign? If so, why don't you have all the paperwork ready to go and sit down at the table with her and talk it out?

For how long you have been married and the assets, I would assume you already have representation? You should look up the spousal support guidance from the state.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:59 pm

massdad1234 wrote:Have you asked her what she wants? I have not. Is she a rational person? Not in the least. Will she understand that the more this drags out the less she gets? She doesn't care.

Is she motivated to cut ties too or to punish you? Punish me. If you offer her the house and 50%, you think she would sign? That will prob be my second offer. If so, why don't you have all the paperwork ready to go and sit down at the table with her and talk it out?

For how long you have been married and the assets, Just under 30 years.I would assume you already have representation? Yes You should look up the spousal support guidance from the state.
Trying to figure out how.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby HaltAndCatchFire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am

Georgia has no spousal support statues or guidelines. Ask your attorney how the judges in your Court typically rule on alimony. Without considering infidelity, the judges in my GA county use a self-created standard of 1/3 the length of marriage for the duration of spousal support, with an amount as high as 40% of net salary.
The only way out is through.
HaltAndCatchFire
100+ Posts

Unread postby FN Newguy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 am

My attorney has stated the judge for our case is fair. He did not inform me of his history with rulings where infidelity played a part. My attorney said she doesn't need SS and I don't make enough to pay any after my expenses are paid.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum