What to expect

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

What to expect

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi guys. New & read a lot here and hoping I'm in the right place. Need to hear I'm doing what I need to do.....I'm a worrier. Filed in May 2016. Married 29 years. State is GA. Kids grown. I had an affair and realized I was missing out on life. Affair is over. We are both in the marital home. DAR running any time I am home or if I see her somewhere I am. Discovery has ended. She lied on her finacials to the point that my attorney has a depostition set for her. Her attorney has a temporary hearing(rule nisi, whatever that means) set for 2 weeks later. I believe she is seeking alimony and me out of the house. My attorney assures me I can't afford alimony AND according to her past, self employed, income(tax returns) she doesn't 'need' alimony. Her financials varied SO much from tax returns, that he is going to depose her to better understand her income.

I have a separate bank & bank account. I use my own CC. I closed the one joint account we had but its balance is over 10k. I deposit half of the utility costs to our joint account monthly.

Although I don't agree with her getting half of my IRA, I have to accept she will. She is wanting to downlay her income to show the court she needs alimony. She also wants to show the court her 'evidence'(emails) of my affair in an effort to be awarded more than half of my(our) assets.

My question to the panel is, with a balance in my retirement account of 340k, what figure, or percentage shoyld I have as a base to get this over with? Please ask any questions I might not have answered. I appreciate opinions on how to end my marriage when she doesn't want it because our marriage is only beneficial to her financially. Emotion and love left many years ago. Thanks
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Re: What to expect

Unread postby massdad1234 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:37 pm

add up assets, add up debt, divide by two.
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 pm

It's GA, is she doing fault because of the affair or no fault?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Since she couldn't talk me out of divorcing, I'm sure it's all about how to obtain the most money.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby afc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Georgia is one of the few states an affair can matter when it comes to money.

Is she planning to use the affair as part of a fault based divorce?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I guess? I'm a divorce virgin. So I'd have to offer a substatial figure above 50% to stay out of court? What typically would a GA judge award, percentage wise. I filed irretrievably broken.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:57 pm

have the two of you slept together since she found out?
massdad1234
1K+ Posts

Unread postby FN Newguy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:01 pm

No. We haven't slept together in over 10 years. So status quo in that sense is a no go.
FN Newguy
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:22 pm

I like how you think you're making your case but you're actually making hers. If she had sex with you after finding out about the affair, it's condonation and she can't counter with a fault based divorce. Because she hasn't, you could lose a lot more than 50%.

"Thank God my mistress < edited > married dudes!"

My head... Exploding.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos

Unread postby Data » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:37 pm

I am in a similar situation.
Data
50+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum