What does it mean to "Manage your attorney?"

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

What does it mean to "Manage your attorney?"

Unread postby SweetJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 pm

I see this statement all the time and understand it in principle as an effort to avoid runaway costs and maintain focus on material items. However, what specific things are you doing to "manage your attorney?"
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Re: What does it mean to "Manage your attorney?"

Unread postby gamingdad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

For me it was laying out a game plan based on what I learned here, minimizing the back and forth with the STBX,, being on the same page, what is acceptable, what isn't.
Doing the extra work to find case law that supports my position, being aware of all their actions to make sure it serves a purpose and not a wasted expenditure.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
1K+ Posts

Unread postby massdad1234 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:41 pm

your lawyer is bound to do what is best in your legal interests. Managing your attorney is tasking them appropriately, guiding them to the approach you want and not allowing them to engage in frivolous back and forth with opposing council.

If you are paying by the sip, you should make sure each sip is worth it. Know what you want to accomplish and guide your attorney to accomplish it. Just because your attorney might say something, remember that you are the one that is in the driver seat.

"I don't think it is a good idea to depose your spouse so early"
your response? Please complete this by such and such time
"I think you should take this deal - less than 50/50 - because blah blah blah
your response? Lets see what the judge says, prepare for trial

The lawyer will do whatever you task them to do, within reason, so make sure you know what is really important (50/50 no matter what) and what isn't - arguing over how you spent $350 that one time last year.
massdad1234
500+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome OP!

My three cents is that when my attorney suggested something contrary to the advice of my brothers here. ..I paused and then confered with the forum.

Then I pretty much went with the forums recommendation. However I was lurking very early on and went into the relationship with my counsel with my own list and strategy from the forum.

I got really lucky with a female attorney who was awesome and IMHO would go with a man next time.

Hang in there and stay close to the forum brother!
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks, all.

I've got a consultation with an attorney this afternoon. What types of things should I be looking for them to say/do to suggest they're the one?

Also, my NJ is doing the opposite of managing her attorney. I'm getting cracked with loads of Requests for Production that will take hours upon hours to review. Since I know she will be requesting that I pay her legal fees, is there any way to manage her attorney as well as I might ultimately be on the hook?
Last edited by SweetJ on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am

Check the Resources section for questions to ask a prospective atty.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby SweetJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 am

Trevor wrote:Check the Resources section for questions to ask a prospective atty.

Got it. Thanks.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:26 am

Legal fees are rarely awarded, and when fees are assigned, it is a token amount about equal to the initial retainer.

Divorce lawyers don't work on the speculation that fees will be awarded - opposing counsel is being paid now, before he does the work. Who is paying the wife's legal fees now?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby SweetJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

BartSimpson wrote:Legal fees are rarely awarded, and when fees are assigned, it is a token amount about equal to the initial retainer.

Divorce lawyers don't work on the speculation that fees will be awarded - opposing counsel is being paid now, before he does the work. Who is paying the wife's legal fees now?

When we physically separated after selling the house last June, she took approximately $90K out of one of our joint accounts and moved it into another of our joint accounts. That account's balance is now below $60K, partly due to legal fees and mostly due to her not working.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 am

OK, then fees will not be awarded.

Her attorney knows this.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum