Getting Started: Texas

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Getting Started: Texas

Unread postby Thoughts? » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:18 pm

The foster home thought is not going to happen. You're getting co-dependency counseling & you've tried to get her sober, you've had enough and since she won't make an equal commitment to protecting your son, you are firmly & finally moving on.

The recordings are usually only helpful to get DV charges dismissed, unless they are containing something really really powerful. Then a lot goes to how your lawyer handles getting them in to evidence. Do tread lightly there.

But the hospitalization records, ambulance reports, etc., plus any other med or prescript9on records, will be pretty powerful.

Age of child? County? Am asking because I am in TX, and helped a guy tee up sole decision plus supervised access in a similar situation.
The board is the sum of all of your great posts...Help divorced men be great dads! Divorce help in a father friendly divorce forum....more tips on how to deal with your divorce at DadsDivorce.com
Thoughts?

Unread postby deepintheheart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 am

Update: She is checking into another 60 day.

I"ll start reading more of the forum educating myself when I have her safely at the treatment center.

Thanks for the info so far...
Last edited by deepintheheart on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepintheheart
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 am

What is the basis of this treatment - is it 12 Step?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby deepintheheart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:50 am

12 step treatment; after discussing yesterday, she didn't relapse on the pills, just alcohol.
deepintheheart
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 am

OK.

Can I discuss this with you - one of the reasons your wife is failing is because of 12 Step. I want to discuss SMART Recovery, and also the issues found with 12 Step; because this cycle of rehab, relapse, is related to the nature of the program. Did you know that AA itself publishes statistics that prove a person has a better chance of abstinence on their own than in the program?

So we'll talk about two things - What science has discovered about compulsive behaviors, and what research has discovered about AA.

Let's start here - is one of the medications your wife takes Naltrexone?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:53 am

Is this a 30 day in-patient treatment center? Is it voluntary or this court ordered by chance?

Regardless, I would see an attorney ASAP if you plan to initiate divorce. This is your chance to get custody and stay in the home with possibly minimal problems.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby kirkpatrick » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am

astrolink wrote:Is this a 30 day in-patient treatment center? Is it voluntary or this court ordered by chance?

Regardless, I would see an attorney ASAP if you plan to initiate divorce. This is your chance to get custody and stay in the home with possibly minimal problems.

A+!!

You have to stay on this like a fly on < feces >!!!

File a restraining order while filing divorce papers. Exclusive use of the home and all that < feces >.

Stbx will get supervised visits for duration of her recommended treatment program. Use her program to your advantage. Counselor recommends half-way house for 1 year, then she gets it!!!

Jr.
kirkpatrick
100+ Posts

Unread postby deepintheheart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Some answers:
30 Day in treatment center (voluntary).
No Naltrexone...she is on Lithium

12 step obviously hasn't worked for her; hopefully she finds the right path when she gets out and in a sober home (I will look into and research SMART recovery).

I will schedule appt with lawyer this week to initiate divorce; I know the end goal but am scared of the journey (especially if restraining orders, supervised visits are part of the picture). Focusing on what is best for my son will get me over the top.
Last edited by deepintheheart on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepintheheart
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:06 pm

While you are researching SMART Recovery, take a look at Orange-Papers.org - specifically the information about the impact of AA on family.

As part of your case preparation, you should read up on the CDC health study called ACE - Adverse Childhood Experiences - conducted with Kaiser Health. Note how many of the factors your son has, and the eventual impact on his life. Your son is at risk for his own issues, including compulsive behaviors.

The issue the mother has is easily explained as a compulsive behavior - it is not a disease. By way of introduction, I am a licensed physician in the State of California and speak with certain qualification. While your wife is being treated for her bi-polar condition, the absence of Naltrexone means her drug use isn't being addressed. You should take a look at what Naltrexone does.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby deepintheheart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:17 pm

STBX dropped off at 30 day treatment center...it begins.
Last edited by deepintheheart on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepintheheart
10+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum