Job offer

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Job offer

Unread postby whatever_works » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm

I have an offer for a new job. It is a well known multinational company with good work/life balance. A lot of 5 star reviews on Glassdoor.com. I will be getting a 12% raise in base pay. My ex is still jobless. My daughter tells me that she does have a job interview every now and then. I know she has language issues and her programming skills are not on par with me either. So she could be struggling to find a job for the last 11 months. Maybe the first few months she slacked off but she is probably looking now.

I spoke to my lawyer before getting this offer. He said that in order to make a case for more time with the kids, I should ask the new employer to confirm in writing that I will have the option to work from home and flexibility of hours. However, it looks like I can't do that. The recruiter assured me that there would be no problem taking some time off for kids' school, pick up, sickness etc. And work-from-home is also an option that I could earn after working here for a few months. But no employer would give me these kinds of commitments in writing before joining. This is consistent with my line of work. My previous employer allowed me to work from home 5 days a week if needed. But not right after I joined. In fact, I allowed my team members to WFH only after I got to know them and they gave me a baseline productivity.

So, at this point, I could be gainfully employed in an awesome job in 2-4 weeks time (depending on how long the background check takes). Or I could let this offer go and be unemployed for an unknown period of time. Health Insurance would be a problem as I would be running out of my COBRA in about 4 weeks. Money is getting tight as well. And there is no signs of a settlement from the ex. To be honest, I don't see how I will make a case for more time with my kids if I can't hold a job.

I am quite excited about the offer and want to take it. Is there a downside?
whatever_works
100+ Posts

Re: Job offer

Unread postby massdad1234 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm

i'll let more experienced people chime in, but if you have a flexible work schedule, which allows you to spend more time with your kids and support them directly, I don't see how it can be a bad thing. Especially if you have historically been gainfully employed.

I also don't buy the argument that no employer would let you know this up front. From personal experience, my current position is work from home, was made clear during the interview process and something that I clarified as well. The workplace is changing, not all sectors have caught up, but it makes sense. Let employees work from anywhere - be productive - and company benefits. No lost time sitting in a car everyday and the work site is anywhere you have internet. Not only that but happy employees are productive employees which helps their bottom line.

I would want this clarified. Why not negotiate that as part of your acceptance letter? This isn't 1960's anymore.
massdad1234
100+ Posts

Unread postby whatever_works » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm

massdad1234 wrote:I would want this clarified. Why not negotiate that as part of your acceptance letter? This isn't 1960's anymore.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that flexibility is a win. But I may not be in a position to negotiate the "up front" work from home commitment with this employer. I understand that with a smaller employer, you can talk to the decision maker directly. Posturing helps in negotiation if you are ready to walk. In this current situation, I have been jobless for 2 months. It is a large employer that is offering me 12% more from my previous job and the job title (and job profile) is a step up. Since I am gaining several things, I feel that I am not ready to walk away.

But I will politely ask for some WFH concession before accepting the offer.
whatever_works
100+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Sometimes this flexibility is a selling point on the careers pages of the company website, to attract talent. That can at least support your situation if the hiring manager won't put it in writing.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby massdad1234 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 am

I have only worked for fortune 100 companies, not to humblebrag, but to point out remote work is part of the modern work force. You would not be out of place to negotiate this.

Think of it this way, you are more productive and happy, why would your employer be unhappy with that? How did you get a job offer and not speak directly with someone who will be managing you at this company? What did they say? Also, it was part of the posted job description.

I don't think it's a concession, but most employers know in todays workforce, this is a perk that can be leveraged.

"am I able to set my own schedule?" "can I work remote.mondays and Fridays?"
massdad1234
100+ Posts

Unread postby Anything4Her » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:02 am

I am a corporate recruiter for a large company. I agree with the OP in most of what he said. Working remote *is* much more common in the knowledge based industries, but companies most often, as the OP said, expect a baseline of work/trust before giving a new employee carte blanche to set their own schedule. However, it is NOT out of line to probe your supervisor's thoughts on it. Be straight, "I am going to be a single father and need a job that will have some flexibility with remote work."
whatever_works wrote:But I will politely ask for some WFH concession before accepting the offer.

All in all, in your situation, I think that's best.

In presenting it at court, simply testify the truth that in your industry, remote work is quite common (reference your history) and your new position is no different. After some trust earning with your boss, you may be able to get that letter your attorney wants, but I wouldn't walk away from your current offer over this.

-a4h
Anything4Her
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am

I am quite excited about the offer and want to take it. Is there a downside?

None whatsoever.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:19 am

Well, less free time.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby whatever_works » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Update: accepted the offer. I am going to be gainfully employed in 2-4 weeks!
whatever_works
100+ Posts

Unread postby dofb » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 pm

whatever_works wrote:Update: accepted the offer. I am going to be gainfully employed in 2-4 weeks!

Congratulations!
dofb
50+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum