Questions on interrogatories and their meaning

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Questions on interrogatories and their meaning

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 am

Why did she deny your petition and counter-file? Just a waste of time and money.

However, you won't be able to avoid financial disclosure going back three years, it's standard procedure. It all depends on how deep she wants to go with it. At a minimum both of you will have to file your respective comprehensive financial statements.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

This is exactly a fishing expedition. And a calculated way on OC's part to waste money. I think she realizes this because she has recently agreed to 50/50. I'm not celebrating yet, but making headway.

lionel2013 wrote:Why did she deny your petition and counter-file? Just a waste of time and money.

However, you won't be able to avoid financial disclosure going back three years, it's standard procedure. It all depends on how deep she wants to go with it. At a minimum both of you will have to file your respective comprehensive financial statements.

I'm fine with Financial Disclosure, that's required for court and outlined by law, but these questions from her attorney are a complete waste of time. Unreal how you guys have done this for so long. Looks like I'm experiencing what everyone has been saying first hand.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Try going digital.

The discovery request I received had two pages of the instructions dedicated on how to organize the paper documents. These instructions demanded me to organize the documents in logical folders, and if there were enough for boxes, to use well-marked and logically-organized boxes. Delivered to oc's office at so-and-so, by yada, yada.

At least twice in these instructions, it stated these must be 'original documents' whether on paper or digital, whenever possible. So I decided to get all of my 'original documents' online. I blocked out all major account numbers and my ssn, except for the last four digits of each, by digitally erasing or making a filled-in rectangle over the first part, because some were pdf's and others were screenshot jpg's. And maybe a few word doc's downloaded from an account or two.

I also blocked out where I bought stuff on my credit card, but I didn't have any questionable big purchases since the split because I was executing financial austerity...actually, it was more like being cautious with my spending because I didn't know what financial pitfalls might lay ahead.

I made a folder called 'discovery response'. Within it I made numbered folders for every question, 1-34, even if the questions weren't applicable. Within every numbered folder I created a basic text document, titled with the same number, where I'd write my responses and description of that folders contents. Crowded folders had subfolders for each account, in an effort to keep things organized. For the non-applicable or not-available answers, I'd write 'na' in that folders text doc, keeping it vague. If the stbx had the doc, I'd write that in the text doc.

I zipped the 'discovery response' folder and emailed it to my attorney, who questioned my tactic but sent it anyway. OC was like a volcano erupting. But what's she gonna do besides be unreasonable. In a world of paperless billing, she had the 'original documents'.
a dad

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:00 pm

a dad wrote:Try going digital.

The discovery request I received had two pages of the instructions dedicated on how to organize the paper documents. These instructions demanded me to organize the documents in logical folders, and if there were enough for boxes, to use well-marked and logically-organized boxes. Delivered to oc's office at so-and-so, by yada, yada.

At least twice in these instructions, it stated these must be 'original documents' whether on paper or digital, whenever possible. So I decided to get all of my 'original documents' online. I blocked out all major account numbers and my ssn, except for the last four digits of each, by digitally erasing or making a filled-in rectangle over the first part, because some were pdf's and others were screenshot jpg's. And maybe a few word doc's downloaded from an account or two.

I also blocked out where I bought stuff on my credit card, but I didn't have any questionable big purchases since the split because I was executing financial austerity...actually, it was more like being cautious with my spending because I didn't know what financial pitfalls might lay ahead.

I made a folder called 'discovery response'. Within it I made numbered folders for every question, 1-34, even if the questions weren't applicable. Within every numbered folder I created a basic text document, titled with the same number, where I'd write my responses and description of that folders contents. Crowded folders had subfolders for each account, in an effort to keep things organized. For the non-applicable or not-available answers, I'd write 'na' in that folders text doc, keeping it vague. If the stbx had the doc, I'd write that in the text doc.

I zipped the 'discovery response' folder and emailed it to my attorney, who questioned my tactic but sent it anyway. OC was like a volcano erupting. But what's she gonna do besides be unreasonable. In a world of paperless billing, she had the 'original documents'.

I ran across your method, a few months back, while doing some searching and it totally makes sense. At least I thought you had posted it. Virtually everything I have is electronic or I've scanned it in simply for ease of use by me.

But I think I'm going to take it to the next level by encrypting the data, forcing them to use a password to decrypt, and password protecting every individual file. Gonna add some time to my end but boy, how annoying would that get for them.

A few questions though. One question specifically asks for my social security number while other questions ask for sensitive data like account numbers and the such. I don't feel their entitled to that but that's my feeling, not sure how the law views that. What is the consensus for providing sensitive data?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Your wife has, or can get, copies of that stuff, like your SSN on a tax return. Don't make such a big deal out of their questions and don't make it harder than necessary for yourself. No added hurdles, just get it done.

SSN question:
"Petitioner/Respondent has this information." in the properly numbered text file (.txt), in the properly numbered folder, all within the main folder. Same with tax return questions. Same with joint accounts.

Someone earlier said they gave statements dated back to 2000. That is unreasonable. My main bank back then got bought out by another bank and neither of them exist anymore. It's reasonable to go back 2-3 years or until you separated, unless there are other circumstances.
a dad

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 pm

a dad wrote:Your wife has, or can get, copies of that stuff, like your SSN on a tax return. Don't make such a big deal out of their questions and don't make it harder than necessary for yourself. No added hurdles, just get it done.

SSN question:
"Petitioner/Respondent has this information." in the properly numbered text file (.txt), in the properly numbered folder, all within the main folder. Same with tax return questions. Same with joint accounts.

Someone earlier said they gave statements dated back to 2000. That is unreasonable. My main bank back then got bought out by another bank and neither of them exist anymore. It's reasonable to go back 2-3 years or until you separated, unless there are other circumstances.

Yes, good advice. I won't make it any harder.

On the positive side, you also gave me a great response to a lot of the questions, because she has access to virtually all of the info they're asking for.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 pm

"Joint Account" is all I included in my response to discovery for those accounts.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:02 pm

lionel2013 wrote:Why did she deny your petition and counter-file?

OC drew up those papers but it seems either I haven't been served with them yet (not likely) or they changed strategy. I have copies of the paperwork so I'm not sure the angle here.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Trevor wrote:"Joint Account" is all I included in my response to discovery for those accounts.

The less words, the better. I like it.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby big guy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Be aware that she can use a motion to comply if you do not fill out the interrogatories.
big guy
1K+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum