Questions on interrogatories and their meaning

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Questions on interrogatories and their meaning

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 am

Hi all,

I filed in march, first to file. D15, S13 Illinois. She responded with a denial of my petition and a counter petition.

My lawyer just sent me the paperwork from OC included are 2 documents OC also filed. One was interrogatories and the other was discovery. All are finance related requesting info going back to 2014.

I have zero interest in discussing anything remotely financial related until parenting time is resolved.

My questions...it feels like The tables have been turned on me. Like I went from petitioner to respondent overnight.

What should I be watching for my attorney to do or say? So I know he's going down the right path. Because I'm prepared to jump ship at the first sign of a misstep.

How in depth should I answer these interrogatories? They ask things like have you given any cash gifts from present to 2014. The answer is yes. I've given tons of gifts. Cash and real things.

What's my next step?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Re: Questions on interrogatories and their meaning

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

Has your attorney sent your interrogatories and discovery?

Did your attorney provide you any direction on what information to present?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:03 pm

He has not sent any interrogatories to her yet.

And he did have a brief page providing directions but it seemed more like instructions to answer all the questions honestly and provide the supporting or requested docs.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 pm

My attorneys gatekeeper is stating that these are all standard questions and forms, is this correct?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes . . . but

You should not give your answers until the mother provides hers, therefore your attorney needs to send your interrogatories and discovery, then true-up the deadline dates so there is an exchange of documents.

We do have many many threads on this topic, make sure you do a little searching of the forum.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

I saw all the previous threads on this but got a little jumpy so I asked.

Last question, I know these documents may be standard but are these documents even necessary? Seems like a huge waste of money when it's all said and done.

My STBX and I have worked out parenting already, she agreed to 50/50 after some thought on her part. And a friend of mine, who just divorced, said they never did these interrogatories. All I can see is an attorney spending huge amounts of time going thru these.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby big guy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Only back to 2014? Awesome. Mine asked for all financial info going back to 2000 and the gifts question went back another 10 past that. My paperwork was a foot and a half tall and took a couple hundred hours to compile.
big guy
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:23 pm

big guy wrote:Only back to 2014? Awesome. Mine asked for all financial info going back to 2000 and the gifts question went back another 10 past that. My paperwork was a foot and a half tall and took a couple hundred hours to compile.

My god man!!! That's completely unreasonable and unrealistic. Sucks you had to go thru that.

Even my situation there are questions that are unrealistic. Furthermore, I feel I'm answering the same questions 3 times when you factor in the financial disclosure, notice to produce and interrogatories. My bank statements alone will be several hundred pages. And they want this back in 28 days!!!
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:18 am

Have you heard of the term document dump?
Fatheroffour

Unread postby hoosier_dad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 am

Nothingtoseehere wrote:My god man!!! That's completely unreasonable and unrealistic. Sucks you had to go thru that.

OP, there's a flip side to this type of overreaching fishing expedition. What happens when OC receives hundreds of interrogatory pages in a response? Can you imagine the time OC would have to spend reviewing that large of a response, and the subsequent legal fees? OC is not doing his client any favors and in the end could exhaust STBX's fees and force an early settlement.
hoosier_dad

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum