BIFF is helpful when dealing with HCPs

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: BIFF is helpful when dealing with HCPs

Unread postby Marlie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:45 am

No but the Psychiatrist that diagnosed her during the divorce is:-).
Last edited by Marlie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marlie
New

Unread postby iamthedad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

lovingfatherof2 wrote:Are you a medical professional that is qualified to diagnose someone?

No. In my case I have 15 years of experience with this person. But that's just this person.

I form my opinion, generally speaking, with a combination of my experience, others who've lived through the same or similar, and professionals I know, personally, in fields where they do see and in fact diagnose people with PD.

I believe the OP stated he was dealing, specifically, with NPD, which is why I said let's just call that spade a spade. Why not? Why are people so darn 'iffy' or 'careful'? That's called CYA in my opinion - people who 'suffer' from PD hide it very very well in most cases, and they are aided by the fact that nobody is willing to step up and make the call.

HCP=PD
iamthedad
100+ Posts

Unread postby whatever_works » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm

This is great info. I am dealing with an NPD and I can tell you that it has been very useful for me to understand NPD first.

iamthedad wrote:You might know it to be true but it's nearly impossible to get anyone else to see it. I'm dealing with one of these people and I'm still learning how to reduce things to "just the facts". Doing so has resulted in even more lashing out. It's hard to just ignore it, but it can be done. For those times when it can't this thread is good advice, but let's just call it PD, because that's what it is.

This is where you are going in the wrong direction. It is not for others to see it. I know my wife fits NPD description to a 'T' and that explains everything that happened so far. I had so many questions (about the things she did) before I went down this path. But after reading about NPD and PD in general, I understood what she did and why she did it. Not only that, my current situation and next steps became clear to me.

I have spoken to family about NPD. They give me blank stares (except my sister). A couple of close friends are also skeptical. So now when anyone asks why my wife did what she did, I just say something vague and simple like, who knows, or she has issues.

Prior to learning about PD's I used to think all humans are the same. That you can reason with anyone and make them see your way of thinking. That all disagreements in the world come from a lack of communication. I have now come across people at work who have a PD and I have now learned to use more tact with them. If I started going around saying this or that person has a PD, no one would believe me. But you need to learn to recognize these disorders and learn to adapt.
whatever_works
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum