Florida: STBX Underemployment and Potential Alimony

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Florida: STBX Underemployment and Potential Alimony

Unread postby SweetJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm hoping to get some opinions on how my potential alimony situation looks like. I don't think she needs a dime and her lawyer has requested $1,500/mth for 8 year. She's also asking that I pay her lawyer fees.

Some background info:

- Married 11.8 years.
- She worked full time as a teacher making $38,000/yr until 9 years ago when we had our son.
- My son has a chronic disease that required frequent doctors visits early on. Now that he's been in school it's not as intensive. I know she's going to play the "poor mother who sacrificed her career to care for sick child" card even though that's a farce.
- I was making $140,000/year before I was let go from mass layoffs at the end of 2014.
- I started a new business in 2015 that is struggling, but made me $70,000 in 2016 and off to a slow start in 2017.
- Our asset split will give her over $100,000 in cash, a paid for luxury SUV, and $25,000 401k balance.
- I asked her to get back to work at the end of 2014 when I knew I was losing my job. She's fought it, preferring to do part-time consulting work that netted her $29,000 in 2015 and $18,000 in 2016 without benefits.
- She's got a bachelor's degree in accounting and 150 credit hours so she could sit for the CPA if she wanted to. She never pursued a career in accounting.
- After she left teaching, she didn't want to go back. She started an education in nursing but bailed on that too.
- She currently resides in a luxury town home that's at least $400-500 more expensive than my apartment.

Whatcha all think?
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Re: Florida: STBX Underemployment and Potential Alimony

Unread postby Californiakids » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

I think every other new thread I read on here some guy is getting screwed over by his wife who is usually a teacher. Wtf is it with these teachers who always stop working after the kid is born?
Californiakids
50+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Lawyer fees are not going to be awarded, with perhaps a token amount to remove any appeal.

You have paid for everything up to this point, thereby proving you can do such. I see 4 or 5 years rehabilitative alimony paying a couple of thousand a month.

You should really have cut her off before you separated - why did you move out?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby afc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm

With regards to your son's condition, are you well versed with his care, doctors, etc that you can do 50/50 custody split with no problem?
afc
5K+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:48 pm

BartSimpson wrote:You have paid for everything up to this point, thereby proving you can do such. I see 4 or 5 years rehabilitative alimony paying a couple of thousand a month.

That is fine when I had a job making $140,000. Due to a job loss outside of my control my financial circumstances have changed.

BartSimpson wrote:You should really have cut her off before you separated - why did you move out?

We sold the house and went our separate ways before actually filing.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm

afc wrote:With regards to your son's condition, are you well versed with his care, doctors, etc that you can do 50/50 custody split with no problem?

Well enough to have supported the 50/50 split since we physically separated last June. I'm becoming a bigger part of his healthcare needs including making sure I"m at his doctor's appointments and talking with doctors/nurses. I've got some dirt on her lack of proper care over the years that I can pull out if necessary.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Californiakids wrote:Wtf is it with these teachers who always stop working after the kid is born?

They all married chumps who agreed to those terms? Is that it?
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby astrolink » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:05 pm

I ran your numbers through a Florida's attorney's alimony estimator.

It says $480-$768 for 3-12 years.

With the assets she got, my offer would be no more than dead center, which is $624/month for 6 years. I would start at $480 for 3 years and negotiate no higher $624/6.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Timeflies » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Trevor wrote:
Californiakids wrote:Wtf is it with these teachers who always stop working after the kid is born?

They all married chumps who agreed to those terms? Is that it?

That might be his excuse. But what is yours?
Timeflies
50+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 pm

astrolink wrote:I ran your numbers through a Florida's attorney's alimony estimator.

It says $480-$768 for 3-12 years.

With the assets she got, my offer would be no more than dead center, which is $624/month for 6 years. I would start at $480 for 3 years and negotiate no higher $624/6.

Thanks. That's in line with the guidelines of the Alimony Reform bill being passed around state legislation. Using my $70K income from last year and assuming she could make $39K as a teacher, I come up with a lower guideline of $425 for 3 years and upper guideline of $567 for 11 years. If they were to use my previous 5 year's average income, the monthly payment guidelines go up to $1,016 and $1,355 (not considering child support).

What is the likely income numbers that the mediator or judge would look at? Is a salary that she could be making as a teacher reasonable? How about my income?
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum