Florida: STBX Underemployment and Potential Alimony

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Florida: STBX Underemployment and Potential Alimony

Unread postby astrolink » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm

In my state they would look at the last couple year's tax returns. I can't speak for Florida. What does your attorney say?
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

astrolink wrote:In my state they would look at the last couple year's tax returns. I can't speak for Florida. What does your attorney say?

My attorney has been radio silent since scheduling the mediation two weeks ago. I am in the process of finding another lawyer.
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:34 am

How long was she a teacher? Hopefully, for at least a few years as on the surface this sounds like her best career option. While she may have the requisite background to sit for a CPA exam, most accounting firms only hire people straight out of college and the cases are very rare when they deviate from this in the case of an entry level hire. There are potentially other career paths in accounting, but I would imagine that for someone with no experience in the field and a ten plus year old degree they would be clerical level and not pay much.

In any event, you are going to need a vocational evaluation, don't cheap out on this.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby SweetJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:27 am

JimRockford wrote:How long was she a teacher? Hopefully, for at least a few years as on the surface this sounds like her best career option. While she may have the requisite background to sit for a CPA exam, most accounting firms only hire people straight out of college and the cases are very rare when they deviate from this in the case of an entry level hire. There are potentially other career paths in accounting, but I would imagine that for someone with no experience in the field and a ten plus year old degree they would be clerical level and not pay much.

In any event, you are going to need a vocational evaluation, don't cheap out on this.

Thanks. She was a teacher for 3-4 years. Her mother was a lifelong teacher. Both of her sisters are teachers in the area. There are tons of teaching jobs in the area (which I've been tracking). There's no excuse for her not to be a teacher other than she doesn't want to work.

Regarding the vocational eval, I assume that's something for the trial rather than the mediation. If that assumption is correct, what information should I have ready for the mediation?
SweetJ
10+ Posts

Unread postby JimRockford » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am

workdog3 wrote:
JimRockford wrote:Regarding the vocational eval, I assume that's something for the trial rather than the mediation. If that assumption is correct, what information should I have ready for the mediation?

That type of thinking is a mistake. Prepare for a trial even though you more than likely will not have one, that means do all the same due diligence and discovery of a trial and a vocational evaluation is part of that. My ex settled in the hallway on the morning of trial. We were prepared and ready to go and you should be too.
Deciding to go forward with a divorce is kind of like joining a brotherhood. However, it is a brotherhood that you really don't want to join.
JimRockford
500+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 am

Californiakids wrote:I think every other new thread I read on here some guy is getting screwed over by his wife who is usually a teacher. Wtf is it with these teachers who always stop working after the kid is born?

Couldn't agree more. This was the story of the demise of my first marriage. X a teacher who basically decided to stop working when our son was 2, and never to return to teaching. Her mother put it in her head "I was rich" so she didn't want to work anymore. She filed, we got divorced, and now she's training to become ... an X-ray tech. Please don't ask me why an X-ray tech and not something else, I have no idea.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Timeflies wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Californiakids wrote:Wtf is it with these teachers who always stop working after the kid is born?

They all married chumps who agreed to those terms? Is that it?

That might be his excuse. But what is yours?

I didn't marry a teacher, smart guy. Seems I touched a nerve there. Start another thread if you need help with your sitch.

Nor did I post another thread on the forums about a present gf like the OP did.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Minerva » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Here's how you get what you want. Ask for more than you want and settle backwards.

Tell her she's capable of being a CPA and make her prove to you and God why she's not capable of making that (income evaluation?).

At the least, she made $30K working part time, that means she can make at least $60k working full time right?

Consequently, did you receive as salary the $70K last year? Because if you started the business with her, she gets half of it. Talk to your lawyer about that.

Second, your probably going to have to put $140K as your potential since you have the capability of making that you just chose to work in a different area. Just like she should be on the hook for her personal decisions regarding her employment level, so should you. The court doesn't care about what you actually make, they care about your potential. And courts love to play up your potential and play down hers, so get ready for that.
Minerva
100+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:45 am

Attempting to impute her income to her full demonstrated potential is risky when you're not reaching your own.

Have you run the numbers?
Fatheroffour

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum