Lawyer Fee Arbritration

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Lawyer Fee Arbritration

Unread postby Super Man » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Gentlemen,

I need some advice on a email I received from my old lawyer which I fired. After I fired her, she sent me an outragoues bill. I tried resolving the bill with no luck. I opened a fee dispute arbritration with our state bar association. Roughly 3 weeks after case was opened, I received this email on Monday:

EMAIL FROM LAWYER:

I propose that we resolve the fee dispute with a mutual waiver of claims and a walk away.  Simply speaking,I will waive any claims for payment of the outstanding bill for fees and costs in exchange for your waiver of any claims for reimbursement of fees or costs. The time and expense in a non-binding arbitration and then litigating this claim can be better spent on both
our parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically she is saying we both waive, and I have a zero balance, state bar case closed. Is that correct?
Super Man
100+ Posts

Re: Lawyer Fee Arbritration

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Seems reasonable.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Super Man » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Seems reasonable.

That's what I was thinking. Have them initiate the paperwork and send to me?
Super Man
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:50 pm

It's the waiver that she needs to send you.

And one more thing off your list, while you focus on your son during this challenging time with the mother.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum