Girlfriend Might be Crazy, She Filed For Custody

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Girlfriend Might be Crazy, She Filed For Custody

Unread postby Tant91 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Ok so I was advised to post here for some help. I created the following threads on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5vdhk1/my_25m_livein_girlfriend_24f_of_7_years_repeats/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5vsk5n/my_25m_livein_girlfriend_24f_of_7_years_repeats/

Updates since then.

First appearance the judge adjourned to April 3, because we still live at the same address. She gave me an eviction notice for March 31st, I don't own the house.

I can't afford a lawyer because she has all the money, and locked me out of everything, even took me off the credit card because it vanished from my credit report.

I did end up writing down a long history of basically our entire relationship, but I don't know how much of it is relevant, or if it even matters. People say her doing this with the finances every time is financial abuse but honestly I don't think a judge would care about that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can win this and take my son away from her for good? I can live with my grandparents until I get back on my feet. Nobody has wanted to hire me yet as I haven't worked in like 5 years, despite me having skills in digital marketing and obviously housekeeping/child care.

It just seems like a judge would be all "no income, no custody, bye"
Tant91
First Post

Re: Girlfriend Might be Crazy, She Filed For Custody

Unread postby astrolink » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Tant91 wrote:
Anyone have any ideas on how I can win this and take my son away from her for good?

I read your story and there's nothing that would compel a judge to grant what you desire.

You haven't worked for 5 years in this economy? I guess that's your choice, but you could be employed by tomorrow morning.

Since you aren't married from what I read, it will be difficult to navigate the family law system to get parenting time without an attorney, which requires money and a job. Good luck to you.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 am

Don't move out of the house.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby Ohiogal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 am

RockyCali wrote:Don't move out of the house.

He may not have a choice. She can force the issue by evicting him.
I am licensed only in Ohio. NOTHING stated by me is legal advice OR forms an attorney/client relationship or is to be taken as me advising you regarding YOUR personal LEGAL circumstances.
Ohiogal
500+ Posts

Unread postby Ohiogal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 am

You are not going to be able to take the child away completely away from her. That is not realistic at all. Your girlfriend owes you nothing. She doesn't have to support you. And since you were not married, you have no enforceable rights to the child until the court grants you rights through a legal establishment of paternity and court orders.
I am licensed only in Ohio. NOTHING stated by me is legal advice OR forms an attorney/client relationship or is to be taken as me advising you regarding YOUR personal LEGAL circumstances.
Ohiogal
500+ Posts

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 am

I read your story and agree with astrolink that legally, you are nowhere and no judge will grant you what you seek. While you may be a nice person and good to your son (from what you say), you need to realize that the life you have set up for yourself is the root of your problems.

You are living off of your GF and have allowed your GF to dominate your household both emotionally and financially. Sorry to say it, but you're between a rock and a hard place.

1. Get a job.
2. Get a lawyer. Unless you have a tough litigator there is a possibility you will lose substantial custody of your child. I would beg borrow or steal whatever you need to get a lawyer.
3. It's too late to go on the attack with regard to you GF's behavior because you are now on the defensive. She makes accusations and unless you defend yourself successfully, they will be taken as fact. Get tough and get angry.

Has she contested the fact that you are the father? If so, then you are in a whole other level of conflict and war. If not, I suggest you both sign a document that you are the parents of your son. If she declines, then take her to court to establish paternity and seek legal fees and costs for her forcing this process.

Absent establishment of paternity, you have nothing.

Good luck. Keep coming back.
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 am

Ohiogal wrote:
RockyCali wrote:Don't move out of the house.

He may not have a choice. She can force the issue by evicting him.

True. I should have edited to add "unless legally compelled." In other words, don't volunteer to move out.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

Unread postby 2Dadwipp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 am

Do everything the others have suggested if you want to be involved in your sons life but more importantly, think about the kind of life you want for your son. How do you expect to take your son from his mother when you don't even have the desire to provide financially for him? I'm sorry but how exactly do you let the mother work and not try to provide income also? How do you go 5 years without wanting a job or wanted to contribute? Your efforts and understanding of what a fathers role is are seriously in question.

Get a job, get a lawyer and try to understand what is going to be in the best interest of your son. Unless the mother is completely incapable of caring for your son you might want look for a way for both of you to remain active in your sons life so trying to take your son away from her when she is the only one who has provided for him sounds irrational to say the least. Take a parenting class and learn as much as you can about being a better father.
2Dadwipp
50+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum