Choosing my attorney

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Choosing my attorney

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've last posted here. About a year ago my wife stated she was going to divorce me. However, it never happened and it gave me some time to prepare. I've implemented austerity measures, completed other preparations and have meet with 9 attorneys. I'm looking for thoughts for the 2 attorneys on my short list.

I live in IL and have a D15 and S13.

Attorney 1: Male, well established, no nonsense. Asked pointed questions and gave straight answers. He advises that he'll litigate anything but finds most OC tend to back down in the 11th hour. According to the Court Docket, hes in court virtually everyday with multiple clients. Expensive: $4000 retainer, $450/hourly, $400 hourly for Junior Attorney-but advised that I could reduce my bill if I do some of the leg work.

Attorney 2: Female, well established, asked lots of questions. Wanted to know goals of Parenting, provided several scenarios of outcome. However, she's a solo attorney sharing office space with another attorney and she showed up with her son who was off today from school. Also, when asked if she was a litigator she advised that most of her cases close without litigation but she doesn't have any issues with trials. She advised that we would start my case with RO's surrounding Parenting Time, since my STBX will not agree to 50/50 and move to mediation and a GAL if needed. She feels the RO's on Parenting Time of 50/50 will establish a status quo for future proceedings. Costs: $2500 retainer, $250/hour for trial, $225 for court appearances and $200 for everything else.

My thoughts are leaning towards Attorney 1 as I feel he is more experienced and confident in his skills. However, his costs are roughly double than the going rate in the area. Any suggestions? Should I keep looking?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Re: Choosing my attorney

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Good for you on your research.

Your instinct is correct - the first is too expensive, the second is not a litigator. You have been studying this for awhile and you personally could probably mediate (if such were possible) on your own. You have to have the litigator because you can't do that.

Check out another attorney, and you might examine what you have learned about gender in the selection of attorneys. Gender is not the first thing to use, but your example of the child out-of-school is what happens right before something important.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Bart,

I did meet with another attorney this past summer. I thought he was the right guy and I actually placed a retainer for him. As it turns out, I did not go through with the divorce (a number of issues I have resolved within myself since then) and requested a refund.

It took several months for him to make the refund, and when he did - he hit me for 2 hours of work that he claims he did. I paid for the 2 hours without complaint but scratched him from my list. I feel if it takes 3 months to provide a refund that it would also take that amount of time to answer any of my issues. Should I give him a second chance or keep moving?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Have you gone and watched family court hearings? It's a good experience, gives you an idea of what to expect, and maybe you'll see someone that really resonates with you. Attorneys are trained to talk themselves up. Seeing them in action can be very enlightening.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
1K+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm

I'd give the guy a second chance - at least to have a discussion about it with him.

Ask for a credit for the two hours this time.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:44 pm

I haven't been to a hearing yet. I'm trying to do things without raising suspicions at home, so I need to think this out before taking a day off of work with no good reason.

Bart: I'll give him a second chance then. He offered everything that's mentioned on this board and maybe since I wanted a refund I became a low priority. Who knows?
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:48 pm

I agree with the suggestion to go watch a hearing.

Didn't you have a doctor's appointment to get something looked at? Maybe that lump in your left nut?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:52 pm

You know...now that you mention it, after being kicked in the nuts for so many years I should see someone for it. Plan has been formulated.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby gamingdad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:11 pm

If you use this board consistently, I would probably pick the second attorney, and learn to manage her from participating in threads here.
Depending on the factors and complexity, it may not come down to trial, and you get an 11th hour deal.
If the woman layer is capable of getting you there, then there you go. If it's going to get brutal, a litigator will come in handy, but can get expensive fast, which makes managing them more important.
The third lawyer I would pass on. Dragging feet can be costly.
READ YOUR PAPERWORK BEFORE SIGNING! IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, ASK!
gamingdad
500+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm

gamingdad wrote:If you use this board consistently, I would probably pick the second attorney, and learn to manage her from participating in threads here.
Depending on the factors and complexity, it may not come down to trial, and you get an 11th hour deal.
If the woman layer is capable of getting you there, then there you go. If it's going to get brutal, a litigator will come in handy, but can get expensive fast, which makes managing them more important.
The third lawyer I would pass on. Dragging feet can be costly.

I'm on almost daily. I've been planning for a while now with some good advice.

And the 2nd attorney is frequently in court so I should be able to see her perform as well when I do my sit in. Just struck me a bit disorganized when she brought her son to work this morning.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum