Choosing my attorney

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Choosing my attorney

Unread postby firedude118 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Go watch them in action..in court...usually any given day the court is full of them.
firedude118
100+ Posts

Unread postby grandetaco » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:06 am

Another option to research them is to go to the records clerk and look up case by Attorney's name, then find cases similar to yours, go through filings and responses and any transcripts in the file.
FYI: copying case file is $1/page, copying transcripts is $0.30/page.
take lotsa cash or your checkbook along, they don't take credit.

Another source for recommendation will be local fishing/hunting/gun forums
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am

OP, what county are you in? PM or e-mail me if you are in Kane or adjacent.

Otherwise, the first one is too expensive - you don't have to pay that much to get good representation, and the third one - don't bother, he is dragging his feet.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm

I dunno guys, his first pick sounds like my lawyer. $5000 retainer at $350 an hour is what my guy charges and he loves to litigate. So far he has been worth every penny.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 pm

lionel2013 wrote:OP, what county are you in? PM or e-mail me if you are in Kane or adjacent.

Otherwise, the first one is too expensive - you don't have to pay that much to get good representation, and the third one - don't bother, he is dragging his feet.

PM'd

lovingfatherof2 wrote:I dunno guys, his first pick sounds like my lawyer. $5000 retainer at $350 an hour is what my guy charges and he loves to litigate. So far he has been worth every penny.

Well, it just got real. She told me she's meeting with her attorney next week. So in preparation to that (and being educated by you guys), I contacted the guy that was dragging his feet (hope this doesn't bite me) and am meeting with him tomorrow to file first.

Worst case scenario, after meeting with him tomorrow if I get bad vibes, I'm going to the expensive guy.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Decide quickly, your ex is planning and strategizing from this point on. You don't want her 10 steps ahead of you.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby DogTired » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 pm

FWIW, I interviewed 5 attorneys. I immediately disqualified any that talked about GAL, mental health experts, etc. I ended up going with the guy who was $350/hr when all the rest were $200-250. But he listened to things I suggested and we mapped out a clear plan that gave me a level of confidence that the others wouldn't have. In the end I chose him because I knew if I walked into a court room with him beside me I would be in good shape. Worth every penny for the peace of mind.
DogTired
100+ Posts

Unread postby Nothingtoseehere » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm

The rocket is lit.

Going into radio silence for bit. Holding the cards close.

Thanks all. Will be lurking until I can post again.
Nothingtoseehere
10+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Choices yes choices. And what was your choice of digital audio recorders?

Sony or Olympus?
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby RockyCali » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:14 pm

I wish I hadn't been such a cheap < hindquarters > 3 years ago. I wish I hadn't panicked and felt like I had to get somebody within 48 hours. That haste has cost me a lot of heartache and tens of thousands of dollars.
RockyCali
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum