will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:00 am

What state are you in again? The support laws vary greatly from state to state. Some require child support to be continued to be paid for a couple years up to many years (depending on the state) and it's locked into whoever was designated as the custodial parent before the child turns 18 years old.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Lenny1970 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm in NJ. Thanks.
Separated but living together since Mar '16
Lenny1970
100+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm

You live in hellsville when it comes to child support. As long as your adult child goes to college, you can pay as late as their 23rd birthday. It doesn't matter if they live on campus. Support continues to the custodial parent so they can maintain a bedroom for them if they stop by.

I read a case a few years back where a child, going to college, moved to the former NCP's home. They were able to get CS stopped, but could not collect. Later, the adult child moved back into the former CP's home....and they were able to get CS reinstated. Case law therefore is that whoever is the CP before the child's 18th birthday is locked into that status regarding CS.

NJ also likes to force college and living expenses upon both parents, although the higher earner is going to pay more.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Lenny1970 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 am

Astro, wow... so in that case, can I request full or 50/50 custody so I don't have to pay child support? Thanks
Separated but living together since Mar '16
Lenny1970
100+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 am

Being designated as the "Parent of primary residence" is the term in New Jersey. Of course, they don't just hand it to either parent.

This is exactly what NJ courts look at in deciding who will be the primary parent:

How many children there are, and how old they are;
The parents’ employment statuses and what the work demands are on each parent;
How much time the parents each spent with the children prior to the divorce;
How close the parents live to each other after the divorce;
The physical and emotional fitness of the parents;
How the custody arrangement will impact the children’s education;
What type of home environment will be offered;
What are the specific needs of each child;
If the child is old enough, what is the preference of the child;
The relationship of the child with each parent and any siblings who might reside in the home;
How well the parents communicate with each other about the issues that relate to the child;
Whether there is any history of a parent interfering with the < parenting time > of the other without any legitimate reason, such as substantiated allegations of abuse;
Whether the safety of the child has ever been jeopardized by abuse from anyone living in the home; and
Whether there is a history of domestic abuse.
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Cropduster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 am

Cropduster
100+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum