will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:52 pm

DoctorZ wrote:
Fatheroffour wrote:You will not pay alimony unless you consent to pay it.

And if you do not consent, you will be ordered to do so in the trial. After that, if you do not pay, you may be charged with misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony.

What you say may be true but what is also true is that one may find themselves in such a position because they have an ex that knows the only thing theyll do is write that check and complain about it.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Welcome to USA - The United States of Alimony. Don't blame the lawyer, he is correct. You will be paying alimony in the USA. I assume you marriage was a long term, more thatn 10 years. Here is how it will work:

- They will combine you salaries, divide by two, get the average, and that would be her expected income. That's 80K. She is short by 5K, and that what they are expected you to pay per year, and maybe permanently.

Not a big deal in this country.

Dr. Z, while I certainly share your disgust with the charity [pardon, meaning alimony] system in this country, I think you are exaggerating quite a bit here. In all likelyhood the OP will have to pay little or no alimony, given their circumstances.

Let's save the dramatic statements for circumstances which actually demand them?
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby DoctorZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Chaos wrote:A lot of dudes like to awfulize around here. Disregard anything that sounds all gloom and doom based on your gender. All the time we spend pushing back against stereotypes, and then this < Hole > shows up.

Oh, really? If it was not that awful, you would not be here, enjoying separation from your ex without lawyers and not worrying about getting obligated to pay alimony for some time or PERMANENTLY, until you or you ex dies (they will never get married, so forget about this clause).
Why the US Family Law System Sucks: https://youtu.be/M3YA6u4ttN0
DoctorZ
500+ Posts

Unread postby DoctorZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 pm

lionel2013 wrote:Dr. Z, while I certainly share your disgust with the charity [pardon, meaning alimony] system in this country, I think you are exaggerating quite a bit here. In all likelyhood the OP will have to pay little or no alimony, given their circumstances.

Lionel, I'd believe it when I see it. There is no evidence the judge would let the guy go if his ex is demanding the alimony.
But you are right, 5K per year is a small size alimony to pay.
Why the US Family Law System Sucks: https://youtu.be/M3YA6u4ttN0
DoctorZ
500+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 am

DoctorZ wrote:
Chaos wrote:A lot of dudes like to awfulize around here. Disregard anything that sounds all gloom and doom based on your gender. All the time we spend pushing back against stereotypes, and then this < Hole > shows up.

Oh, really? If it was not that awful, you would not be here, enjoying separation from your ex without lawyers and not worrying about getting obligated to pay alimony for some time or PERMANENTLY, until you or you ex dies (they will never get married, so forget about this clause).

Was that English? Also, no alimony here. Looks like it's just you.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
I ♥ Disco

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 am

My ex wife, in the very beginning of the divorce wanted spousal support (alimony). She told me she was going to have her lawyer motion for it.

But I never heard another word about it.

Im sure she asked her lawyer and im sure her lawyer told her she wont get spousal support. Here is why:

When I had finally hired a lawyer I asked him what my ex's chances of getting spousal support would be if she motions for it and he said ZERO. The reason was because she had been gainfully employed the entire marriage and our incomes were a difference of 10%. Therefor she does not reach the necessary threshold to even ask for it.
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Lenny1970 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 am

Lovinfather, thanks. That's my exact situation. I meet with my lawyer later today. Hope she says same.
Separated but living together since Mar '16
Lenny1970
100+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Lenny1970 wrote:Lovinfather, thanks. That's my exact situation. I meet with my lawyer later today. Hope she says same.

If she doesn't say the same, get a second opinion, or replace counsel altogether.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Did I miss it somewhere, but the key is what State.

In Colorado it is "calculate support by taking 40 percent of the higher income earner’s monthly income and subtracting 50 percent of the lower earner’s monthly income"

So for your example (85*.4)-(75*.5) = 34 - 37 = -3k / year. Opps, my initial math was wrong, if I understand Colorado right as an example you wouldn't pay anything.
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Unread postby Lenny1970 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Met with my lawyer today for about 90 minutes. We're going to file a no-fault divorce. Some of the posts on here were spot on. My lawyer doesn't think I'll have to pay alimony because we're close enough in salaries. I foget why, but she wants me to get police report for when my wife called the police on me like a week ago for threatening her; then told the police she didn't think her life was in danger or I had to be removed from the house that night. I think my wife got really ticked off that night b/c my lawyer was challenging the legality of the arbitration agreement. As someone mentioned (i forget who), I can file for a no-fault divorce & get the Arbitration Agreement overturned in that process (thanks for that advice whoever that was). The one thing my lawyer said, that I still don't understand, is she said for our one kid who is a h.s. senior, that I may have to pay child support for him while he's at college b/c his home of record will be my wife's house. In that case, I'd rather my kid stay with me when he's not in college & not have to pay child support. Support for college expenses I understand. But why would i have to pay child support if he only comes home on college breaks? Thanks.
Separated but living together since Mar '16
Lenny1970
100+ Posts

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum