will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: will i have to pay alimony or making about same as wife?

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am

Is my lawyer correct? Or do i need a new lawyer?

No.
Yes.

If your attorney is telling you how you are going to get screwed rather than telling you the arguments you'll be using so that you will not get screwed he isn't working for you. He's working against you.

You have an attorney that is getting paid well to hold your hand while you swirl down the drain. He's completely uninvested in your outcome and its glaringly obvious.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 am

So you still have a gun pointed at your head, but the wifey just switched hands holding it.

How can you properly mediate if there is the threat of an arbitration ruling against you for failing to appease the other side?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby lionel2013 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

Lenny1970 wrote:Can someone tell me if they think I'll have to pay alimony? I make about $85k. My wife makes about $75k. I sometimes think my lawyer is working for my wife. My lawyer told me that alimony is based on who paid for what when the couple was married. In my case, I paid 100% for everything out of a combination of savings, my pay and having some debt. My wife's paycheck would go into savings, her 401k & her IRA. If I'm following my lawyer's logic, I'm going to have to pay alimony even though our salaries are about the same and all the kids are grown. That doesn't make sense. But since I paid for everything while we were married, my lawyer is saying I should expect to pay alimony? Is my lawyer correct? Or do i need a new lawyer? Thanks.

You definitely need a new lawyer.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby DoctorZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Lenny1970 wrote:Can someone tell me if they think I'll have to pay alimony? I make about $85k. My wife makes about $75k. I sometimes think my lawyer is working for my wife. My lawyer told me that alimony is based on who paid for what when the couple was married. In my case, I paid 100% for everything out of a combination of savings, my pay and having some debt. My wife's paycheck would go into savings, her 401k & her IRA. If I'm following my lawyer's logic, I'm going to have to pay alimony even though our salaries are about the same and all the kids are grown. That doesn't make sense. But since I paid for everything while we were married, my lawyer is saying I should expect to pay alimony? Is my lawyer correct? Or do i need a new lawyer? Thanks.

Welcome to USA - The United States of Alimony. Don't blame the lawyer, he is correct. You will be paying alimony in the USA. I assume you marriage was a long term, more thatn 10 years. Here is how it will work:

- They will combine you salaries, divide by two, get the average, and that would be her expected income. That's 80K. She is short by 5K, and that what they are expected you to pay per year, and maybe permanently.

Not a big deal in this country.
Why the US Family Law System Sucks: https://youtu.be/M3YA6u4ttN0
DoctorZ
500+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Please note that maintenance varies by individual states. Accordingly, one's experience with the system and the formula used is unique to only one of the 50 states.

Also, note that not everyone believes the sky is falling.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:09 pm

You will not pay alimony unless you consent to pay it.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby Havalu7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Good job on staying in the house OP!

Post here first if you start thinking about moving out of the love nest. ..don't do it.
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby DoctorZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:You will not pay alimony unless you consent to pay it.

And if you do not consent, you will be ordered to do so in the trial. After that, if you do not pay, you may be charged with misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony.
Why the US Family Law System Sucks: https://youtu.be/M3YA6u4ttN0
DoctorZ
500+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 pm

A lot of dudes like to awfulize around here. Disregard anything that sounds all gloom and doom based on your gender. All the time we spend pushing back against stereotypes, and then this < Hole > shows up.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
2.5K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Misery loves company.
a dad

PreviousNext

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum