Finding an attorney

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Finding an attorney

Unread postby Timeflies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I need advice or help finding a good attorney. I've posted on here about my divorce and some of the feedback has added to the gut feeling or hesitation I already had with my attorney.

Saying all that how do I find a good attorney in Florida? Any feedback is appreciated.
Timeflies
50+ Posts

Re: Finding an attorney

Unread postby Caruzzo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Spend a couple days at your courthouse and watch a few in action.

Interview attorneys that specialize in family law only.

Make sure they know all the family judges in your jurisdiction and their ruling tendencies.

Most here will disagree with me on this, but don't quickly rule out female counsel. Strong female attorneys know how to dismantle the tactics of a NJ and shred their credibility.
Caruzzo
100+ Posts

Unread postby Chaos » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't disagree on female attorneys.

The best way to hire an attorney is to go to the court house and watch family court hearings for a day. When you see one you like, get a card. It's an audition, not an interview.
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.
Chaos
I ♥ Disco

Unread postby egg_75 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Caruzzo wrote:Most here will disagree with me on this, but don't quickly rule out female counsel. Strong female attorneys know how to dismantle the tactics of a NJ and shred their credibility.

I intentionally sought for a female attorney. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we still live in a sexist world. So a male attorney roughing up a poor defensively female on the stand doesn't always look good. But a female attorney ripping into a female on the stand requires popcorn!
egg_75
10+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:41 pm

< bovine scat >.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby lovingfatherof2 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Egg, that isn't true
I type butter on mah phon
lovingfatherof2
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:59 pm

The logic of someone that's never been in a courtroom.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby grandetaco » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 am

Caruzzo wrote:Spend a couple days at your courthouse and watch a few in action.

Interview attorneys that specialize in family law only.

Make sure they know all the family judges in your jurisdiction and their ruling tendencies.

Most here will disagree with me on this, but don't quickly rule out female counsel. Strong female attorneys know how to dismantle the tactics of a NJ and shred their credibility.

Ask him if he carries a gun, then if the answer is yes, ask him if he has children, if the answer is yes, ask him what is he willing to do for his children, then if the answer is satisfactory, negotiate a rate with him. This is after he watched him in action or have looked up his previous cases by visiting the court records clerk. You can look up case by Atty.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandetaco
500+ Posts

Unread postby MegaDad » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:33 am

Another tip I haven't seen posted yet is to ensure your attorney is a litigator. Someone who isn't afraid to go balls to the wall and push the other side to trial. As many of the vets here will say, a litigator can always act as a mediator, but an attorney who only wants to mediate won't be as effective if things get to court.
MegaDad
100+ Posts

Unread postby Wasntthere » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 am

I didn't realize how different one divorce attorney can be from another until I went to paid consultations with a few different ones. In hindsight, I spent to long blabbing on about my story, and not enough about the future and my goals and how to get there. But, you can see into their minds with the questions they ask you. Don't go with "feel good" or gut feeling on this - at least until you've had some time to "digest" different atty's. It's a paycheck to them: more conflict, more hoops, more money. No problem with that, but, keep it in mind.

You're looking for a contractor to do a job - that's get you with the kids and a fair rest-of-life settlement. They work for you. You're the head coach. Find someone who listens, understands _your_ goals, tells you straight scoop. Knowing the local court and staff is a big plus. Hired guns from out of town in expensive cars looks impressive, but gaining the judge's benefit of the doubt by being familiar is better. In my opinion anyway.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
A father's love is like the NOAA weather radio - always the same message, always broadcasting, and available everywhere your kids might go. See to it brothers.
Wasntthere
100+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum