Finding an attorney

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Finding an attorney

Unread postby iamthedad » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:34 pm

I had a bad experience with my attny and it fouled things up in the end, but it had nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman. I observed as is suggested and I honestly do not believe the gender of your lawyer makes any difference in the world as it relates to what the Judge will or won't do. Just my .02.
iamthedad
100+ Posts

Unread postby Bobby5000 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

"Another tip I haven't seen posted yet is to ensure your attorney is a litigator. Someone who isn't afraid to go balls to the wall and push the other side to trial" But do be careful you don't get someone who believes your case needs to be thoroughly prepared and litigated at 350 per hour, sometimes who realizes that savings, stocks, retirement funds, home equity, are all available sources to fund a divorce. If a trial involves 100-200 hours of preparation and may take 2-3 weeks, you can realize that pretty substantial monies can be involved. (So you mean I have to go to county college instead of Duke because all the money in my college fund was spent on the divorce).

So while checking on how the lawyers do in court makes sense, it also makes sense to contact their clients and try to find out how much that cost.

You want to see if your lawyer will promote or frustrate resolution. that's hard, because husbands are told wives' lawyers+ prolong litigation and take advantage of weakness, wives told of wealthy husbands paying little for support but hiding money for large payments to fund a new girlfriend's wardrobe or vacation. The lawyer can help facilitate resolution or his own feelings may create discord and prolong litigation.

As a father you need to have emotional intelligence, understanding yourself and your former wife. That means if substantial pressure is put upon you, financial and otherwise, you may have to fight for your children and maintain a role in their life but not entangle yourself in minor issues or allow entraneous factors to frustrate settlement.
Bobby5000
500+ Posts

Unread postby Timeflies » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 pm

I have retained an attorney I'm confident will do what needs to be done. I've already been happy with what I've seen from him so far. He stays active with my case updating me with new information. And scheduling the required mediation with my Sbtx. He's prepared if mediation fails to go to trial.
Timeflies
50+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Bobby how did you find your attorney?
"No." is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby quantum » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Have you searched for what our sagacious doc says on this topic. He says when you are dealing with an utterly attrocious woman, you need a type of lawyer who could even sell his mother to protect your interests.

I wish I had one such to deal with the cheat on all fronts.
Moving forward with distress behind!
quantum
1K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum