Getting rid of FaceBook

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Getting rid of FaceBook

Unread postby TXDaddy1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I did this tonight, and man it feels good...

You can deactivate your account temporarily and choose to come back whenever you want.
To deactivate your account:
Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
Select Settings
Click Security in the left column
Choose Deactivate your account then follow the steps to confirm
If you deactivate your account your profile won’t be visible to other people on Facebook and people won’t be able to search for you. Some information, such as messages you sent to friends, may still be visible to others.
If you’d like to come back to Facebook anytime after you’ve deactivated your account, you can reactivate your account by logging in with your email and password. Your profile will be restored in its entirety (ex: friends, photos and interests). Remember that you'll need to have access to the login email address for your account to reactivate it.
If you can't get into your account, you can reset your password.
To permanently delete your account:
Permanently deleting your account means you won't ever be able to reactivate or retrieve any of the content or information you've added. If you'd like to permanently delete your account with no option for recovery, please contact us.
TXDaddy1
50+ Posts

Re: Getting rid of FaceBook

Unread postby lionel2013 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:26 am

I did this tonight, and man it feels good...

Why exactly this this make you feel good?
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby TXDaddy1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 am

It feels good because I didn't realize what a distraction it had become. I should have disabled my account a long time ago.
TXDaddy1
50+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:02 am

I "turn on" my account for probably 15 minutes every 3 months. And, although I have a few hundred "friends," I'm bored by about the second minute.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 am

Now you can spend more time on this forum helping shovel the gravel.

One of the biggest waste of time in history. I don't even miss it.

Astro I see you commented while I was posting too. The comment was not directed at you but all newbies in general.
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Unread postby lionel2013 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Havalu7 wrote:Now you can spend more time on this forum helping shovel the gravel.

One of the biggest waste of time in history. I don't even miss it.

Astro I see you commented while I was posting too. The comment was not directed at you but all newbies in general.

I remain of the opinion that FB is exactly what you make of it - no more, no less. And, if you can stay in touch with your friends and family otherwise, you probably don't even need it. But, since I and many others like me have family and long time friends on several continents, I have not yet found a replacement for FB when it comes to sharing pictures and instant communication.

So for some a huge waste of time, for others - invaluable.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Rock Jaw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Been without Facebook for awhile now and it does feel a bit liberating.

I do have a fake account that I use to keep connected to a couple of Groups I belong to, but only check that about once a week or so and have no Friends so my Timeline isn't filtered with any crap.

Good work breaking free!
Rock Jaw
100+ Posts

Unread postby astrolink » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:42 pm

I generally don't care for social media. Mainly, as I can't tell you how many dates I've been on where the woman can't stay away from their IM"s and text messages. It seems rude to me. I keep my phone on vibrate and for calls only when out with someone. I don't give a < feces > about all the small talk and gossip that comes continuously from facebook im's and text messages.
“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”
astrolink
500+ Posts

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 am

Personally I find it to be a good way to keep up with people from all eras of my life. I have so many stories about reconnecting with people I never would have, that I keep my account active. I use it in moderation and stay away from the political posts and fighting, but I find it a nice addition to other forms of communication.
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby Rssooner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:25 am

I deactivated my account just last week. I am not a fan of FB and it also felt good to have it no longer. I found myself checking my STBX page and it just didn't feel right and I know it's not helping me move forward with my life. I enjoyed seeing how my friends, etc. where doing but my truly close friends and family i talk to regularly so I really don't need to have it.

RS
Rssooner
50+ Posts

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum