Getting rid of FaceBook

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: Getting rid of FaceBook

Unread postby lionel2013 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

FlyGuySLO wrote:Personally I find it to be a good way to keep up with people from all eras of my life. I have so many stories about reconnecting with people I never would have, that I keep my account active. I use it in moderation and stay away from the political posts and fighting, but I find it a nice addition to other forms of communication.

Same here. Because of it I reconnected with people I otherwise could never have. People who matter, not old HS acquaintances.
Whenever you think divorce is bad, remember there are worse things than divorce.
lionel2013
1K+ Posts

Unread postby letgoandletgod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 am

Yep getting rid of Facebook really helped me a lot as well. It felt good to just disconnect from it entirely and not have to see what her family or friends were posting. It made it a bit easier. Good job.
letgoandletgod
100+ Posts

Unread postby FlyGuySLO » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:32 am

Just curious.... if you guys are completely getting rid of FB because you don't want to see or be connected to your ex and her people, why not just disconnect from those people? Unfriend your ex and people that are on "her team" and keep your own online world separate.

I am still connected to my stbx and her friends but what I did was create a privacy preference that blocks those people from seeing my posts (which I did via creating a "group" with their names). I did this because my stbx would start spewing drama every time I posted a pic with S14 and also because I just didn't want her to know what I'm up to. Once the divorce fallout subsides I'll probably include some of the circle of friends.

I think she eventually did the same because all her posts disappeared from my feed. Guess what? I couldn't care less.
FlyGuySLO
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:38 am

I don't care about the fungus on my bread and cheese. I'll just eat around it.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Phoenix853 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 am

Fly,
Why do you create a privacy rule with her team in it. Why don't you just unfriend them all? Seems odd that you'd want to keep those people in your life at all. Unless your trying to keep up with the EX or spread rumors in hopes that it gets back to the EX.

I found no use to FB, and as Bart has talked about many times, it's a key hole into your life that is misrepresented and misconstrued that causes more strife. In most cases it's an app that isn't true to life and/or make believe.
"Oh here is a photo of me and johnny playing at the park, and another of me and Jane baking cookies we do this every week." "My life is so awesome and wonderful"
It's not real life people. It's a brag sheet at best.

If your good friends with people you'll text or email them often.
If your keeping it in hope that someday you'll reconnect, not likely.
There are other way's to stay connected with friend and family. Remember the telephone or write a letter or email.

Let it go people.
Phoenix
Phoenix853
1K+ Posts

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 am

Dont miss it at all.

It started as Hey, what a neat app, look at all the people I know but it quickly turned into Wow, I had no idea these people were so irritating. Yet, I still have a page out there thats never checked or posted to, but it stays because I like the Messenger app.

I've talked at length with the kids about the dangers of posting too much information online and inviting comment and scrutiny into their lives. We've gone over examples of how a seemingly innocent picture can be viewed from a different unflattering light and how it can come back to bite them later. How jobs can be lost and relationships can be soured. How the veracity of anything seen or read cant be trusted.

They get it and generally agree that it is a complete and total shtshow.
Fatheroffour

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum