input on my lawyer asking for wifes facebook info?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Re: input on my lawyer asking for wifes facebook info?

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Wow. They found baby Jesus. "They" being a local citizen and not the innovative law enforcement Facebook software.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, my house was completely ransacked, copper stolen out of it, the thieves partied in it and ransacked the place and the police didn't even come out and take a report. Tens of thousands of dollars in damage. I had to go to the police station to file a report and the police were not interested in coming out and collecting evidence. Possibly there were fingerprints left on the numerous beer bottles that were left behind, or maybe some prints were left on the panel box from where they started stripping copper fom the house.

Nah....we'll wait for them to post some Facebook evidence.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby BubbaGumpShrimp » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm

lol. Cops are just as lazy as anyone else. One thing that my marriage taught me..."Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed." I'm going to be carrying that outlook forward on all of my future interpersonal relationships.
BubbaGumpShrimp
1K+ Posts

Postby Fatheroffour » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:50 pm

If the cops want to solve crims they should go surf World Star Hip Hop.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain
Fatheroffour

Postby a dad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm

My previous post was about how you may find something, along with how you can do it. However I'd like to add to both sides of this discussion. Prior to finding this site, my old methodology was - leave no stone unturned. And I'll admit, I did check facebook. Getting a divorce had not been discussed and I was trying to figure out what was happening to my life. I call it human nature.

On the one hand, her facebook digs against me, pics out partying when she should be with the kids and communications with OM are not useful to my case and only hurt knowing my kids were second to her, my friends may have seen this stuff and that she had friended OM for longer that I knew. In fact, as Bart has pointed out before, this info will become a hindrance, technically and emotionally. No doubt about that. My STBX's facebook info scrub ended with useless data, new wounds and time wasted. My wheels were spinning but I was going nowhere. And really, who cares?

On the other hand, how would one know if there's anything useful or not, w/o checking. I did gain one bit of info that was concerning, regarding OM's facebook page, pertaining to my children's safety. But this only led me to get a backround check (eVerify 7 day free trial). Which led me to call the courts in question. Which could have all been done without facebook.

I'd leave it at - Checking facebook will come at a cost. Ask yourself, what info am I looking for that will help my case? (note that facebook is a bunch of bs and it's not filled with silver bullets) Unless you have valid reasons like contempt or neglect or adultury (if it matters), I suggest not to check. If you think you have good reason to check, do it once and do not get caught up. It sounds like you don't think you will get caught up...but be warned, you probably will.

FWIW, my new methodology is more along the lines of - don't go looking for info because this is how life after should be. If you directly receive concerning info, look into it.
a dad

Postby cdavis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Wow. They found baby Jesus. "They" being a local citizen and not the innovative law enforcement Facebook software.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, my house was completely ransacked, copper stolen out of it, the thieves partied in it and ransacked the place and the police didn't even come out and take a report. Tens of thousands of dollars in damage. I had to go to the police station to file a report and the police were not interested in coming out and collecting evidence. Possibly there were fingerprints left on the numerous beer bottles that were left behind, or maybe some prints were left on the panel box from where they started stripping copper fom the house.

Nah....we'll wait for them to post some Facebook evidence.

In our case, its useful locating tool and resource, a $25k/yr crime analyst may be able to get results in minutes over a higher paid officer driving around town all day.
cdavis
50+ Posts

Postby Mark Aylward » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 pm

I'd definitely ask for it. People are stupid about what they put on there and patterns can even emerge without individual comments or pictures meaning anything alone...
Mark Aylward
10+ Posts

Postby CLWPilot » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 am

If you can get her Facebook posts, go get them. Look them over yourself. Your attorney would gladly charge you a couple thousand $$ to do it. Remember that FB posts are only going to be admissible if the writer agrees that they wrote it. If it's damaging, they'll deny posting it (somebody must have gotten on my computer and did this.....blaming you).

It's potentially a good source of info on who she's been associating with, spending money on/with, but that's about it. I wouldn't spend a penny on having my attorney review any social media stuff. Do it yourself and if you find anything interesting (a "like" of Tiffany's and a comment by your STBX stating "I hope (BF) likes the silver necklace!") give that one tidbit to the attorney.

After 4 1/2 years trying to get divorced, I've learned the games. All the family law attorneys want is $$$. Yours and your STBX. Don't fall into their traps by fighting over needless stuff. You can rebuild your life easier (and better) after it's over. It's all about your kids. Don't forget that.
CLWPilot
50+ Posts

Previous

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum