probably a stupid questions but...

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

probably a stupid questions but...

Postby Here_We_Go » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:47 am

got temp orders yesterday and S4 has a b-day party during my time. question is: Am I supposed to tell nj about it and give her the opportunity to attend? Texas
Here_We_Go
1K+ Posts

Re: probably a stupid questions but...

Postby RC411V » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:55 am

If you want to... not a matter of 'supposed' to, I don't think. I never heard of any order that addresses kids' social events.

My kids' mom never tells me about that stuff, I don't really tell her either. That's another big reason I feel like it's important to get to know the other parents and teachers in the kids' classes - so I know what's going on for all that stuff, without having to ask kids' mom.

Early in our separation I remember a birthday party for the kid's friend I found out about and told her I was going. She got mad and told me I couldn't go, we weren't together anymore. I said of course we aren't together but what does that have to do with either of us going to a party? She gossiped with all the airhead moms and I hung out with my kids and the family hosting the party. I was the one who ended up staying after, helping to clean up and joining the after-barbeque and watching the boxing match that night. Still good friends with their family, kids hang out. It was fun.
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

The List
RC411V
1K+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

I am not aware of any social convention in the US where party invitees are given the liberty to invite other people to the event. That's the privilege of the hosts, don't you think? [Rhet.]
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Postby Here_We_Go » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

thanks i will just take s4 and not notify. could be uncomfortable anyway so it is prob better
Here_We_Go
1K+ Posts

Postby FORmyBOY » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Keep it separate. Your not, or won't, be married anymore so quit worrying about her. You want to go to go to joint parties for the rest of your life??
Very few things are worthy of invite to child's mom.... Baptism, first communion, school graduation... Basically one time events.
FORmyBOY

Postby TransAm » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Don't do it. Your occasions are now YOUR occasions. She will now have to provide a second birthday party.

Likewise, maybe next year you won't see your kid on your birthday or on theirs.

I have my turkey for Thanksgiving either 2 weeks before, after, or on Thanksgiving, depending on when I have the kids.

Pretend you're living 4 hours away. Seperate your lives.
"Wrap it up in latex or she's going to get your paychecks."
TransAm
500+ Posts

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum