Wife threatening suicide...what can I do?

Tips on divorce for men considering or starting the divorce process. Get marriage separation tips for men in this divorce forum and child custody forum.

Wife threatening suicide...what can I do?

Postby michael123 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 am

Quick synopsis: marriage sucks, D3, D2, divorce is likely. Want to prolong it until the kids start school (harder for her to try and move the kids out of state). Wife has always been emotionally unstable and when we get in fights she threatens to kill herself: "i'm going to crash my car etc etc". She is depressed, maybe bipolar. Recently she's been on a tear hinting about how unhappy she is and how I'm not a good dad because the kids like me better than her. Anyway, I caught her on tape talking about wanting to leave all of us because she was sick of us and then later threatening to kill herself. I think she is all talk, but I do persuade her to seek help which she refuses again and again. So my questions are: is there anything I can do if I think she is really serious? will calling the police even do anything? I know this sounds selfish, but I fear if I call the cops, she'll file right away, thus my advantage of having the kids enrolled in school in the future goes away. And if anyone is wondering, I do not think she is a threat to my kids safety.

Lastly, would recordings of her threatening suicide be admisable in court?
michael123
50+ Posts

Re: Wife threatening suicide...what can I do?

Postby Fatheroffour » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 am

You may be surprised at how many men have been here in your situation.

Women don't shoot themselves when they commit suicide. Maybe moving to a highrise apartment might be a wise choice.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”― Mark Twain

Patiently waiting for 2025.
Fatheroffour

Postby defaultuser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 am

michael123 wrote:Lastly, would recordings of her threatening suicide be admisable in court?

Depends on where you live. What state are you in?

If I were you, I'd call 911 and tell them, "My wife told me she is going to commit suicide"

If you want to use this, you need to document her behavior. Believe me, I wish I had done this when I was married. It would have helped me so much in getting primary custody.

They will likely take her away for a day or two for observation. She won't be in a position to file for divorce at that point. In fact, you could use that opportunity to take over your assetts and give her no access to money for an attorney.

Read the List. Come up with a plan and execute it as best you can. You need to learn as much as possible about the divorce process because you're going down that road.

Also, check out this link. You may find it interesting. http://www.shrink4men.com/2011/10/17/ho ... ith-crazy/
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby lohe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 am

I hear the grand canyon is lovely this time of year.

Really though, if you have it on tape that she's threatening suicide I would call the cops and get her commited. She is, of course, going to lie about it and it is certainly admissible to the doctor at the mental institute.
lohe
1K+ Posts

Postby defaultuser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:07 am

In my opinion, most people won't lie about it. They are doing it for attention and the mental health people are very good at giving attention.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby AlmostSingle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 am

defaultuser wrote:If I were you, I'd call 911 and tell them, "My wife told me she is going to commit suicide"

If you want to use this, you need to document her behavior. Believe me, I wish I had done this when I was married. It would have helped me so much in getting primary custody.

What he said.

I was still stuck in white knight mode when my NJ's mental problems hit an all time high. I wish I would have called the police when she threatened suicide, I wish I would have called when she became violent and started tearing up the house. But I didn't. It's hard to use things in court with out documentation. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Edit: What am I doing wrong when quoting other posts?
AlmostSingle
100+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 am

AlmostSingle wrote:Edit: What am I doing wrong when quoting other posts?

You hit the quote button, edit out everything inside the quote (i.e., everything between the code in brackets, leaving the brackets intact) except what point you are discussing, then write your comments outside the quote (meaning, after the [/quote]).

Never quote the entire block of text...only leave the relevant part, as I did here.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Postby defaultuser » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:15 am

Trevor wrote:You hit the quote button, edit out everything inside the quote (i.e., everything between the code in brackets, leaving the brackets intact) except what point you are discussing, then write your comments outside the quote

I hit the reply button, then scroll down and highlight the text I want to quote. Then I hit the quote button for the post that is quoted. That way, it only inserts the highlighted text.
The List
Read it.
defaultuser

Postby AlmostSingle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.
AlmostSingle
100+ Posts

Postby Trevor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Fatheroffour wrote:Maybe moving to a highrise apartment might be a wise choice.

Now that was funny.
Dual Parenting, not Duel Parenting.
Trevor

Next

Return to Before and During Divorce Forum