Father can't get < parenting time > without a notarized letter.

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Father can't get < parenting time > without a notarized letter.

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:51 am

I have a friend, who unlike so many fathers, battles for his children week after week and month after month and his soon-to-be-ex, makes him sign a note weekend after weekend of his court ordered time stating that he will return them at whatever time she stipulates and this note has to be signed and notarized or she will not open the door and release them to his care, despite their court order. His own attorney has allowed this to go on and on and on and no one, including the police, his attorney, guardian ad litems and social workers have been able to intervene and help him with what a Connecticut court ordered more than a year ago - How can and does this happen and what can he do before his trial date May 27? He needs help from Dads who have been through this because I frankly don't think that the courts and attorneys know what to do with a Dad that truly cares about his children more than a bedmate in a divorce situation.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:58 am

He needs to subpoena the notes from his wife or get her to admit to the practice that she has of demanding these changes to the schedule in a deposition or interrogatory answer. He can then use her actions and violations of the court ordered temporary custody against her. He can show that she will not follow a court order and is putting the children in the middle of the situation (I am assuming the children are close by when she makes these demands).

There is not much more that could be done in the court before May 27th. I would have considered filing a Motion for Contempt some months back, but maybe too late at this point. Although he could file a contempt of the temporary custody order and attempt to have it consolidated with the divorce proceeding.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives