How do I clear up a CSE mess-up?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

How do I clear up a CSE mess-up?

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:03 pm

I am currently paying child support to Arkansas through an Arkansas order. Last August my exwife opened a case in Missouri, where she lives. Since then I have been sending letters and proof of payment to Missouri. The problem is that Missouri, without, any notification of arrears from Arkansas has put a with holding order against my income tax refund. Missouri is now saying I am not in arrears except for monies owed since Jan 2005 (which I have paid through Arkansas), but they have not taken off the withholding order even though Missouri has received several "certified letters" requesting it be removed. What can I do to get the withholding order removed from my tax refund? In January 2005 I was told that information was being sent to the IRS to remove the withholding order and again in February 2005 I was told it would be sent the last week of the month to have it removed. When I called the IRS on Monday they stated they had not received anything from Missouri so I called the offices in Jefferson City, Missouri and asked why the IRS had not received anything and now they are telling me that there computer system shows nothing was sent to the IRS even though for 2 months they have assured me it was in their computer system and had been sent. What do I need to do to get this with holding order taken off so I can file my taxes?
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:03 pm

You have defiantly been involved with DCSE in Jefferson City. I recognize the "computer problem" story that I have heard a dozen times. My suggestion is to contact the office that you have been talking with and ask to speak to a supervisor. Work your way up the chain. If you receive no help at the central office in Jeff City contact the local office where your wife resides. Hopefully that is a smaller jurisdiction and not St. Louis or Kansas City. (If she lives in STL or KC skip to the hearing request form part below.) The assigned caseworker or technician maybe able to solve the problem. Be prepared to fax copies of all the letters ect to the worker. If they are not helpful, politely ask to speak to the supervisor.

If the local office cannot help, ask for a "hearing request form" and file for an administrative hearing. The problem with the hearing is that it would not be completed for at least two months after April 15th. Another avenue is contact the local paper where your ex-wife resides. The paper loves to publish stories about problems with DCSE.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives