What can I do if I think the support isn't going to my kids?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

What can I do if I think the support isn't going to my kids?

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm recently divorced with 2 daughters age 12 and 8. I have also recently re-located to South Dakota from Kansas. My child support is $330 per month. Although I have no problem with pay it I have serious doubts that the money is actually going towards the welfare of my kids.My ex loves to party. I was told by my attorney that there was nothing I could do to ensure that the money was actually being spent on the kids. Is this true? My attorney was a general practitioner and didn't specialize in divorce/custody cases.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:58 pm

I cannot answer your question specifically to the laws of Kansas as I am not licensed in that State. Some jurisdictions such as Missouri have laws that allow the parent paying support to file a Motion for Accounting. This would force the parent paying support to show that they are spending the amount of child support on reasonable needs for the children. In your situation it would not be difficult to show that she spends $330 per month supporting two children. Your child support amount is obviously based upon your income, but the support amount is well below average for two children. I doubt that this type of motion would benefit you based upon the amount of support being paid.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives