Is my child emancipated upon high school graduation?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Is my child emancipated upon high school graduation?

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:55 pm

My son turns 18 in April and graduates high school on May 13. I would like to prorate my child support for May, providing 13 days of support. I live in Florida.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:55 pm

I encourage you to meet with an attorney licensed in the state of Florida. The laws concerning a child's emancipation age differ drastically from State to State. For example many States have the age of emancipation at age 18, while other States place the age at 21. In Missouri, it depends upon the actions of the child. In MO the general age of emancipation is 18, unless the child is still attending high school (or GED) that can extend the age to 21. If the child attends post secondary education the child support can continue until age 22. However, the laws place responsibilities on the child to continue to receive support while attending college. Some actions of the child such as getting married, joining the military or quitting high school and being self-supporting can result in the termination of child support prior to age 18 in Missouri. Finally, a disabled child in Missouri can have child support continued indefinitely. It can be fairly complicated. Pay for a half an hour or hour of attorney time to confirm when the child support would terminate in Florida.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives