Do I have pay the state if I didn't know about the child?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Do I have pay the state if I didn't know about the child?

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 pm

Hello I live in New York City. I'm a 26 yr. old man and am married currently with two children. Prior to my Marriage I had a one night stand with a woman and she claimed to have gotten pregnant by me. After discussing options with her, she decided she wanted nothing to do with me and she wanted me to have nothing to do with the child. I was a little concerned so the following week I went to her residence to speak to her again only to find she had left the state and returned to Florida where she originally lived. I had no way of contacting her and no idea what she was doing about the pregancy. Two years went by and I received a letter from her stating that she had giving birth to a girl and the mother wasn't sure who the father of her child was so for her daughter's sake she wanted me to take a perternity test. A man came to my home and gave me a bloodtest. Four weeks later I received results in the mail stating that I was the father of the child. At this point she still did not want me to have anything to do with her and the child. I flew to Florida to meet with her and discuss why she left New York and what her plans were. Now the child is 5 yrs old and I received court papers from welfare saying I'm being sued for payment to welfare because this woman was receiving money from the state of Florida. Am I responsible even though I had no knowledge this women gave birth or the child was mine until she was two and I was never giving the opportunity to try and support her even if I wanted to?
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:53 pm

I am not licensed to practice law in the State of Florida so I can not answer your question specifically to the laws of that State. However, the in most jurisdictions the answer is yes, the State can file suit for child support. It is possible, if not likely that the mother is not even initiating the action for child support. When someone receives welfare, they turn over their right to child support (unto the child support amount) to the State. The State can and will file suit to collect the child support so they can be repaid for the welfare they have provided. It is possible in many jurisdictions that the State could go all the way back to the birth of the child with an additional claim for necessities.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives