Multi-state issues of custody and support

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Multi-state issues of custody and support

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:58 am

I was divorced in the State of Kansas. Later, by action of the court, my joint custody agreement is now enforced by the State of Missouri, and the child support agreement is in the State of Kansas. My ex moved to Florida without giving me contact information. The State of Kansas cancelled my child support due to the fact they cannot locate her. My daughter who is now 15 (14 when ex moved) gave me an address in the past which was good because she got my mail. My lawyer tried to contact my ex without success. It has been almost a year since I have seen my daughter. I have contacted the missing child network and was informed they cannot help me since I do not have full custody. My questions are will I lose my rights as a father and will I have to pay the State of Florida child support if she is getting state aid. I have been to court many times in the past over her violations and my money is running out.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 am

It is possible that you would need to pay the child support that has been accruing through the State of Florida. This is especially true if it is state debt. You should file a Motion to Modify custody immediately. It is likely that the jurisdiction concerning physical custody is with the State of Florida as that has been the home state of the child for the past six months. As soon as your ex-wife moved without consent or agreement you should have file to modify the custody arrangement in Missouri.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives