Wife has many problems. Is this good for custody?

Archive of Ask A Lawyer answers provided before April of 2005. Many of these answers can also be found in the current Ask A Lawyer section.

Wife has many problems. Is this good for custody?

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 am

I live in Alabama and have been married 9 years and 1 month. My wife quit every job she's had since we were married. I've called 911 2 times because of abuse or violence. She's bipolar and manic depressive. The 17 yr-old will not live with her. She tried to kill herself also. I've got 3-4 months of recorded conversations (arguments etc.) and recorded diary. She's on a lot of meds and mismanages money. I took equity to help on her credit cards. Both the house and truck she drives are not paid for. She claims horses as business. She does not go to our 8 yr girl school or sport events and may have extra bills. What are the chances of me getting custody of my girl?
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Unread postby dadsdivorce » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:28 am

It would appear from the information provide that you have a good case for custody of your children, especially if the 17 year old is willing to testify in your behalf. The problem that I see is that as you prove your case for custody you are also proving her case for maintenance (alimony). If she has a mental disorder, limited work history in a long-term marriage, maintenance is a concern. Be careful about presenting the recorded information to anyone other than your attorney, as it is possible that you violated federal and/or wiretap laws in making the recordings if done without her knowledge.
dadsdivorce
Site Admin

Return to Ask a Lawyer Archives