Child support for shared custody, Texas

Discussions from before 2005.

Child support for shared custody, Texas

Unread postby John » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:42 am

My divorce was done in 1998, my ex-wife has custody of my 14 year old daughter. My ex got remarried 2 years ago. I currently pay her 1,200/mo child support. My 14 year old daughter has decided that she doesn't like the arrangement of 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends so for the last year she has been alternating a month with each of us. My question is, does this constitute a reduction in child support since my daughter spends 50% with me and 50% with her mom? I understand that in Texas a 14 year old has the right to decide who to live with, so can my wife contest the arrangement and/or the reduction in support? Will my daughter have to appear in court to request this type of change in support and time?
John

Re: Child support for shared custody, Texas

Unread postby Thoughts? » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:37 am

In TX a kid over 12 will be heard by the judge but the statement that the kid can choose isn't accurate -- the judge chooses based upon myriad factors, one of which is the child's testimony. Also I think TX CS guidelines are vague re shared parenting time/percentage impact on CS, so you may have an uphill battle there. Is there an income disparity, or do you earn about the same? That would be a key factor.
Thoughts?

Re: Child support for shared custody, Texas

Unread postby John » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:32 pm

There is an income disparity. She has since remarried, and her spouse makes good money, but as far as her personal income, she probably makes less than 25K/yr compared to mine which is quite a bit larger.
John

Return to Archives