Audio recordings...how long to keep files

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Audio recordings...how long to keep files

Unread postby Data » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:35 pm

I have been recording every second we are in the house together. No children involved in the divorce. Calendar call set for Nov. How long after the final decree do I keep mostly silent or television sounds recorded every second we were together? Does it depend on the situation or does a certain amount of time have to pass that I would not be expected to produce audio proof defending a false DV charge? The files will be numerous once all is said and done and take up considerable space on a computer hard drive and the 4 storage devices I have as a backup.
Data
50+ Posts

Re: Audio recordings...how long to keep files

Unread postby BartSimpson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm

In the days of the tape recorder, we would recommend 30 days, because the volume of tape was difficult to manage. A complaint after that would not be timely and any recording understandably useless to produce at the door when an LEO responds.

Remember it is for the responding officer, and not as Court evidence. As a note-taking device, it is work but worthy of keeping selected recordings to refresh your memory if you need to discuss a specific issue repeatedly or a reoccurring dialog of he-said, she-said.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Data » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Bart. If I interpreted correctly, once the divorce is final and we are no longer around each other, there is no need for something to playback for a LEO as it is just to keep me safe while still married and in each others presence. No rush to delete but I am collecting, and storing in different places, backups in the event one is needed. I am purchasing 16gb size devices so as not to have too much info lost if one fails.
Data
50+ Posts

Unread postby whatever_works » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Keep in mind that it is not an all-or-nothing affair. Your choices are not between deleting the recordings or keeping four backed up copies of them. You can also choose to keep one copy on a NAS or an old external drive somewhere. That way, the large files are not bothering you or generating any more work for you. You lose some reliability. But realistically speaking, if it's an external drive you can safely store it somewhere and it should be fine for 2-10 years. 4TB drives can be had for under $100.

With a username like that, you should feel "at home" with storage.
whatever_works
500+ Posts

Unread postby Trevor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Data wrote:once the divorce is final and we are no longer around each other, there is no need for something to playback for a LEO as it is just to keep me safe while still married and in each others presence

Keep in mind that some volatile situations demand recording at exchanges when contact is more likely.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby grandet2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 am

If you have a recorder that can spit out files at certain size/time then set it to something like 8 hours, 10 mb,
You need to either add a suffix to the file name to identify key stuff like:

2017_03_15_0810_nj_made_deaththreats_in_front_of_children.mp3
2017_03_15_0930_nj_calling_police_making_false_accusations.mp3

of keep another log of what day/time key stuff happened.

open a google account with a cyptic name, say:

5bananabandit
and save said files to google drive for free. access files from anywhere in the world from any device.
back up files on thumb drive (get a SSD one) and keep with a friend or family you trust in a locked box like a small pistol safe.
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

Unread postby spritom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 pm

New 2TB drives are below $50
2TB of storage would be over 4 years of non-stop-24/7 recordings at a fairly high quality of 128-bit MP3

Yeah, I haven't even thought of bothering to go through any of the old recordings and cycle out the old stuff.
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby grandet2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 am

spritom wrote:New 2TB drives are below $50
2TB of storage would be over 4 years of non-stop-24/7 recordings at a fairly high quality of 128-bit MP3

Yeah, I haven't even thought of bothering to go through any of the old recordings and cycle out the old stuff.

good point,
I just wish SSD prices would come down so 2 TB of SSD be $50 :-)
“A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband, while a man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.”
grandet2
100+ Posts

Unread postby ScaredNConfused » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm

grandet2 wrote:
spritom wrote:New 2TB drives are below $50

good point,
I just wish SSD prices would come down so 2 TB of SSD be $50 :-)

Of course just think what the price of a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive would drop down to. Perfect storage for things like audio / video of exchanges, call it tier 3 for home storage. Which is what I do, tier 1 (1TB SSD (OS and some applications), tier 2 (SSHD, more applications and frequent data), tier 6TB HDD (video, audio, and other bulk files).
ScaredNConfused
100+ Posts

Unread postby Havalu7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Dude back it up on your laptop or tower (if you can do so covertly of course).

Don't be that guy whom has taken all the precautions, got the recorder, fresh batteries, then in the back of the black and white taxi your local LEO shrugs at you whilst showing you that you latest recording (the one you needed to get your toucas out of the b/w taxi before it leaves your house) has not been recorded due to it being full.

LEO says "Sorry dude, goin for a spin downtown."
”No.” is a complete sentence.

Do not move out of your house.
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Next

Return to Technology and Divorce