The Merits of Video Recording?

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

The Merits of Video Recording?

Unread postby Zandor435 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 pm

I only recently found this forum and and grateful for the tips I have learned reading. Thanks for all the good discussion.

My brother is technology illiterate and I have been watching him fall apart as his ex wife becomes more and more hostile toward him. He has weekly exchanges of their 6 yr old with her. He swears she is undiagnosed borderline. There is no history of violence, abuse, alcohol, or anything unsanitary in their relationship, yet she routinely tells anyone that will listen to her that he is abusive, intimidating, and that she feels threatened. She most recently has called the sheriff's office twice to accuse him of "intimidating her." Thankfully, they dismissed her.

I worry that she will say something crazy to someone (lie) about him "abusing" her and it will stick. I don't doubt she would harm herself to prove her case.

Does anyone here think that there are great merits to videoing their exchanges vs simply using the audio recorder on his phone? I have looked into using a dash cam for him, but that wouldn't include audio. I have also done a little research into a covert body cam, but given that he is generally technology averse, I am not sure he could handle that.

I'd love any suggestions or thoughts on the possible merits of going video over the Iphone audio that he already is using.

thanks for any thoughts.
Zandor435
First Post

Re: The Merits of Video Recording?

Unread postby BartSimpson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 pm

Hello,

The problem with third-party questions is that the answers are distorted when reported back to the original party, if they are actually reported back. It's the old game of telephone, and not in our interest to play.

Is there some reason your brother cannot sign up for his own account so that we may help him directly?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby Trevor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 am

I think he must be Amish.
"Personal density is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
Trevor

Unread postby Fatheroffour » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 am

I read that Google Glass is being re-released.
Fatheroffour

Unread postby spritom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:26 pm

That's awesome that you're thinking of your brother.

1) Agree with the above, if he posts himself or you and he sit down together and one of you types, the answers that come back, he'll be 187.2%** more receptive to going in a positive direction on it.

2) There's several good steps to take, especially since his NJ-Ex appears to be very willing to commit crimes of false reporting just to try to "get him."

** give or take as all stats flagged are certified to be true by somebody-somewhere :)...but yeah, the point is, the 3rd party posting thing, sadly, it rarely works. So welcome him on here when doable!
New to all this? Read The List
TAC (The Acronym List)
Short-short version of what to do

跟猴子比丟屎
spritom
Moderator Emeritus

Unread postby Tom Kirkpatrick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:35 am

Zandor435 wrote:.....are great merits to videoing their exchanges vs simply using the audio recorder on his phone?
Do not use the phone to record. Too many things can go wrong. Use a dedicated, MP-3 digital recorder instead. It's money well spent.

When he records, tell your brother to be stealthy about it. He should have his digital recorder up and running any time he's around his STBX. It'll be the only defense he'll have against phony DV charges.

Tom
Everyone is entitled to my opinion. - Maxine™
Tom Kirkpatrick
5K+ Posts

Return to Technology and Divorce