* Official meetup.com (and app) thread (find a new normal) *

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

* Official meetup.com (and app) thread (find a new normal) *

Unread postby ragnar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:02 am

I found the meetup app (also meetup.com) a month ago. It is not a dating app. It is an app that lets you find groups of people with similar interests/hobbys. Sports, charities, dancing, sailing, bowling, happy hour, whatever. I've also seen divorced dads groups that help eachother cope. Kinda like the people here. The veterans help those new to divorce. I've seen the whole gamut on there. YOUR KIDS COME FIRST, but you need your life to.

It's reasonable old. Started in 2002 but most people I see on there are new as of 2010. It is a PITA to navigate through the app but you can figure it out. My psycolgoist recommended it and said many people going through divorce or divorced have used it. The web page is slightly better. It probably took me an hour to figure out. It is that bad. Once you know the ins and outs of it though, it is not bad at all. The web page does have more functionality that allows you to define things you like that help improve meetup in giving you ideas for groups. The app has limited functionality but it is good enough for groups that you have joined.

Point is, it is an easy way to find a new circle of friends with similar interests and help you get to your new normal. It can get your mind off of things and help you find a new normal. Get yourself out there! Has anyone else here used meetup? Share your experiences!!! Also mention any specific groups that you like and what state you are in.

CONNECTICUT:
Hartford Area Hiking: I'm more of an outdoors person so I found that there are ALOT of groups out there for hiking. Many of these groups are more of a general outdoors group (not hiking specific) but they focus on hikes. They also do things like rock climbing, running, mountain biking, etc. I'm off to my first event on this Sunday (12/11/2016). A 5 hour hike. It's a mix of 20 something's to retires. It's a mix of both sexes.

Edits to this post
I will edit this post as needed. If you think I should add anything, please let me know.

Meetup App (and web page) TUTORIAL:
This section will improve over time. It might be fragmented to start.

Terminology:
Group – a group that you join
Meetup – a scheduled event in a group

The meetup app has 4 links in the header when you open it:
M – the front page
Notebook like image - Your meetups and suggestions
Bell – messages between members
Human – your profile

Your Profile:
In the app this is useful for putting a picture of yourself in there. It is best to edit your profile via web interface though. Once default setting I did not like is the “who can message you”. It is set to no one. I changed my setting to anyone in a group (or was it event) that I am in. You can also set it to all but I don’t know if spam is an issue on meetup. Most default settings here seem good. I recommend that you take some time going through them via the web interface though.

Finding groups!
Use the Meetup front page.

This section has two areas. How to find a group and group pages.

First, how to find a group:
This is where you do most of your work. Each group has an image associated with it. The empty white ones are links to create new groups in your town. Ignore them for now. If you see a group with an image, you can select it.

This page has suggested groups. Notice that each section has a “see all” link. For example, “Social” has a “see all” link. When clicking on see all, you will be taken to a new page which has more fine grained subcategories. For example, there will be subcategories under “Social” of “Nightlife”, “New In Town”, “Social Networking”, etc.

In the app, there is a search button in the lower right. Type something like “wine” and you will find some groups near you that you might like.

And now those pesky group pages:
Coming soon

More coming soon.
Last edited by ragnar on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 am, edited 16 times in total.
ragnar
100+ Posts

Re: ** Official meetup.com (and app) thread **

Unread postby Havalu7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 am

Hmm...

Try this app (concentrate on yourself and your kids for a few minutes, maybe even a year post divorce).

It's free and it's what the vet's here HIGHLY recommend.

The thinly disguised cupcake finding apps are abundant and maybe be like quicksand to some like myself who NEED to spend a year looking inward not outward towards snatch, I mean meeting up apps.
”No is a complete sentence” Unknown
Havalu7
1K+ Posts

Re: * Official meetup.com (and app) thread (find a new norma

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 am

Better suited for the technology forum.

Meetup has been discussed here over a thousand times according to the google.
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby ragnar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:14 am

BartSimpson wrote:Better suited for the technology forum.

Meetup has been discussed here over a thousand times according to the google.

Request: Can an admin move it to technology based on what they think is best...

My thoughts:
Seems like it is equally suited for this sub category too. Just seems appropriate since a lot of people need to find a new normal which is the point of this sub category.
ragnar
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am

Are you divorced?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby ragnar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Are you divorced?

Me? No. Again, this is not a dating app.

I am done letting my divorce control my life. I am going to take over my life and do what I want in my free time and get to my new normal. Regarding me, I am going for a hike and hitting up the hobby store near the hike to get my S12 his RC truck for x-mas. I can't focus on my kids when I don't have them 100% of the time. Doing that has only caused me mental anguish and sadness.
ragnar
100+ Posts

Unread postby BartSimpson » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:16 pm

You are in the Before phase, and recommending Meetup.org.

Since it may be of value to those in the before phase as much as the after phase, a neutral forum such as technology (which is all it is - folks have been "meeting up" since the dawn of man) is likely the best forum.

By posting in this forum, you are giving an indication that you are projecting too far ahead, so gently I suggest you consider what you think is the new normal. Define normal?

Rangar - what do you want your life to look like a year from now? Five years from now? Can you answer those goals in a single sentence?
Volenti non fit injuria
BartSimpson
20K Club

Unread postby ragnar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:06 pm

BartSimpson wrote:Rangar - what do you want your life to look like a year from now? Five years from now? Can you answer those goals in a single sentence?

Content and happy.

A year from now, I want to have a small social circle of new single friends with no relationship. Five years from now the same but possibly in a relationship.
ragnar
100+ Posts

Unread postby Me_and_my_boys » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:47 pm

Focus on your kids, tie up the loose ends, and your "new normal" will happen naturally.

Why not hike alone?
Me_and_my_boys
100+ Posts

Return to Technology and Divorce