Free Amzn Prime pic/vid storage and sharing

Discussions on technology and its application and implications in divorce

Re: Free Amzn Prime pic/vid storage and sharing

Unread postby a dad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 pm

Yes, that is sensible. Don't use yahoo.

Iomega, who has since been bought out, used to make NASes that could sync with each other over the web. You could easily setup a duplicating NAS, then move one off-site, like to an office or a friends house, as a good means of disaster recovery without your data living on the cloud.

An app for my Buffalo NAS can automatically sync pictures and videos from my phone to my NAS whenever I'm charging on wifi.

Now I use androids' built-in Photos app, which comes ready to setup to automatically sync new pictures and upload them off-site, without me doing anything.

I'm not as concerned with hacking as I am with these companies changing their privacy settings to be more open, which most of them have done in the past.
a dad

Unread postby Phoenix853 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:55 am

That's a great idea.

I'm not as concerned with hacking as I am with these companies changing their privacy settings to be more open, which most of them have done in the past.

Couldn't agree with you more on this point. Today is a huge data mining society and the changing privacy concerns me more. Too many companies switch to one day decide to make a buck of your information and decide to change their privacy to allow access to certain apps or data.

Practically all apps now need access to your contacts, photos, gps location, ect.....

I like the your idea of storage though. Something will take another look at. As for yahoo, they've been around for a long long time, but a lot of companies sell or go under. I feel yahoo could be in that group in the distant future.
Phoenix
Phoenix853
1K+ Posts

Unread postby a dad » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:32 am

Two reasons to move away from yahoo,

Yahoo got hacked in the biggest hack in history and didn't know or say anything for two years. 500 million accounts were compromised.

With zero pushback, yahoo executives allowed the government to add a program that searched every single email going through yahoo's mail servers, without anyone at yahoo ever knowing exactly what the program was searching for. Their head of security, who wasn't told about this government program, found it two weeks later. When he tried to stop it, he was met with opposition from the executives and now works as head of security for facebook. The government is still reading every one of your emails that get sent from or to a yahoo account.

This stuff is so bad that verizon is looking to back out of the deal to buy yahoo due to breach of contract.
a dad

Unread postby Outis » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm not concerned with Google. I set up two factor authentication a long time ago.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Unread postby RC411V » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Did someone say if I backup my photos to google drive at lower quality, the storage capacity is unlimited for them?

My drive account is at 92% and I'm looking at ways to trim it, don't really want to pay.

I don't even back up my pictures usually, just save the ones I want.

But is that true, about unlimited storage for less-resolution photos?
Only chicky dudes have signatures on internet forums.
RC411V
5K+ Posts

Unread postby Outis » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Yes, but the resolution is still perfectly fine.

I posted a link to an article that shows how to set it up. Shouldn't have changed much since it was written.
What am I to do with all this silence
Shy away, shy away phantom
Run away terrified child
Outis
5K+ Posts

Previous

Return to Technology and Divorce